Using a beer keg for wine dispensing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoP

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm considering to use a small beer keg to dispense wine.
This is a convenient way to dispense your wine for your own consumption, with out having to bottle using a pressured gas like Nitrogen or Argon.
The parts are readily available at More Wine, I just have a question to those who have tried this and perhaps have some experience to share.
Is there a way to save the gas after the keg is empty and reuse it for another fill?
I'm thinking to use another keg of the same size that was previously depressurized with a vacuum pump.
but after the gas is transferred, how can it be reused?
If connected again to the first keg after it was filled with wine, will the pressure rebuild just like when it came from the original gas tank?
Thanks

If you connect two tanks together the pressure will equalize, so you'll end up with only half of the starting pressure. You would need a vacuum pump to finish transferring the gas from one tank to the other under pressure. The operation wouldn't be recommended for safety reasons, as well as other reasons like the potential for gas contamination. The low cost of nitrogen would make it difficult to justify the risky and tedious handling operation.

In short, no. In order to raise the pressure of a gas above what it is now, you would need a compressor. I am guessing you don't have a compressor, right? So you must purchase gas that someone else compressed, i.e., a cylinder of N2 or Ar.

GrowlWerks makes a 1 gal growler that is charged by a 7g non threaded CO2 cartridge. It has a variable valve for the gas pressure. I use it to carbonate beer and then for serving. If you stored it with the gas valve closed and only opened the valve when serving, I imagine the wine would never get carbonated.

Last edited:
I put wine in my kegerator occasionally.
I keg the wine, purge the O2 out of the keg and just hook up the CO2 when I need to serve.

GrowlWerks makes a 1 gal growler that is charged by a 7g non threaded CO2 cartridge. It has a variable valve for the gas pressure. I use it to carbonate beer and then for serving. If you stored it with the gas valve closed and only opened the valve when serving, I imagine the wine would never get carbonated.
Thank you for the feedback
Can you provide a link to the product?

Latest posts

Back