Fermentation Temp??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well 1 day on the floor or maybe the help of fermentation slowing a bit but temp on all 3 down to 78-79.  If you could chime in with any thoughts on adjusments other then sugar it would be greatly appreciated.
Cab: Starting SG 1.102, PH 3.5, TA 6.3,  Zin: SG 1.095, PH 3.3, TA 6.6, Shiraz: SG 1.10, PH 3.7, TA 6.2.
Thanks

I wouldn't mess with anything. Those will slide as fermentation progresses. Any adjustments could easily be made on those numbers by topping off with a similar wine with chemistry numbers that are higher or lower depending on what you need after all is said and done.

The Shiraz is the only one with a slightly high starting pH and that should bump even higher with fermentation. I think you should be able to find a blending wine with a lower pH to pull it back down a notch or two.

Temps dropped fast. Its better to have the high temps early in the fermenation process and get it over with and then ease back down (just like your doing)

Looking good!
smiley20.gif

I probably would have left all alone except for the Shiraz also and added tartaric to raise the Ta and drop down the PH myself.

Well pressed everything on Saturday. Everything yielded just a little over 6 gallons on juice with the exception of the Cab and it yielded almost 7 1/2 gallons. I guess the foot under the scale thing does work.

20101011_123401_IMGP3187.JPG

Looks really good, Mike.

Look at Wade's post just above concerning raising TA lowers PH.

Yep, thats exactly right.
smiley23.gif

Your adding acid which will of course increase the TA. The acid will release a (H+) proton which is what your measuring in pH.

Remember in pH, lower numbers are more acidic (0-7), higher numbers are more basic (7-14)

They say you should make the adjustments before fermentation.

Winemaker Mag has a great article on just this subject.

I balanced mine after the fact as I was learning things as I went on these first two batches. I know exactly how much and how to get it right off the bat for next time though! Time will tell how they turn out.

Your numbers on the Shiraz were not off all that much. Have you taken a recent pH/TA reading to see how much they have shifted?

going to today. I think the Shiraz is the only one that may need a little help, but going to test all. Did you do a MLF on yours or just stabilize?

Did not really want an MLF since my numbers were so off to start out. Did not add any Malo and never really saw any fermentation after the first 2 weeks really.

I added quite a bit of Tartaric (post fermentation) and it balanced out at 3.6 and 8.0 g/l.

Next time I should be able to dial it in with no trouble pre fermentation.

Added some k-meta when crushed as usual. Then just added the first "post fermentation" dose last week that brought it up to 50ppm.

No sorbate.

I just finished reviewing your post from your trials, I can't believe I missed it. Great Job by the way!!!!
smiley32.gif
I only wish I had the 1/2chemistry background you had. One more question... I racked off the gross lees yesterday after press on Saturday. Again I have 1 1/2" of sediment on the bottom. Top layer looks like fines which I understand are ok if you are going to do a MLF, but the lower 2/3rds. look heavy to me. Would you rack off again?

You might have waited an extra day or two for the first racking to get more gross lees off but it should be OK either way. If your going to do an MLF then you want a bit of lees.

I did my first racking 3 days after pressing. Then did a second one after I adjusted my wine post fermentation which was about 5 weeks later.

When I lowered the pH with the tartaric I had a boatload of stuff drop out almost like it was fined. Both wines are ink black and look really clear without adding any fining agent at all.

I just have a very fine coating on the bottom of the carboy right now.

Latest posts

Back