Fermentation heat belt recommendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think putting the starter yeast in those time frames gives the base wine a chance to catch up with the environment that it now fines it self in after thawing and travel..
I keep my yeast packets that I’ve changed out for another in the refrigerator all the time and if I chose to use one I let it come up to basement temperature overnight then use as alway.
I no gift to this industry but I’ve never used a starter yeast, except when I was Gino Pintos they recommended it with a fresh grape crush , it’s the process that is being used with this product and it really doesn’t take long to make a yeast starter, your choice.

SO I suppose it can't hurt to hydrate the Lalvin yeasts for a longer period... I picked up some Wyeast nutrient and energizer - first time using it as I have only used the fermaid stuff in the past... I think the Wyeast is a reputable product..
Making an overnight starter is not simply hydrating the yeast. The colony starts reproducing, so the amount of active yeast added to must is greater than what came in the packet. I've started 9 kits in this fashion (two batches were triple batches) and all took off amazingly fast.

FWK says to let the starter go for 18-30 hours before inoculating. Timing-wise, it makes sense to start the kit at ~7 PM (after work and dinner), then to inoculate the following day at the same approximate time.

I went less time, starting ~6 PM and inoculating the following morning at ~7 AM. Making the starter one day and inoculating the next works.

When using fresh fruit, it's common to add K-meta to kill wild yeast and other micro-organisms, and inoculate after 24 hours. This timing also falls in line with the FWK instructions.

I think putting the starter yeast in those time frames gives the base wine a chance to catch up with the environment that it now fines it self in after thawing and travel..
I keep my yeast packets that I’ve changed out for another in the refrigerator all the time and if I chose to use one I let it come up to basement temperature overnight then use as alway.
I no gift to this industry but I’ve never used a starter yeast, except when I was Gino Pintos they recommended it with a fresh grape crush , it’s the process that is being used with this product and it really doesn’t take long to make a yeast starter, your choice.

Is it beneficial to keep yeast packets in the refrigerator until you use them ?
I haven't done this before and wondering if it's a good practice

Is it beneficial to keep yeast packets in the refrigerator until you use them ?
I haven't done this before and wondering if it's a good practice
Hasn’t failed for me if you go into a brew store you’ll find them in a frig .
Keeps them stable.

packet says to store in a cool, dry place.. A fridge is cool but not dry...

Latest posts

Back