Fermentation heat belt recommendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I ferment in a small room and thus far I have been able to get the temps up nicely with a Dyson heater. I've been told the belts are the way to go though... If I did go that route, what do you recommend? Should I get one with one of those digital temp readouts?

Thanks!

I use a plant heating mat. I bungie it to the outside of my pail. Supposedly it increases the heat around it by 10 degrees. I also grow my seedlings with it. (I have the heating mat plugged into an inkbird temp controller in my fermentation chamber so I can really dial in the temperature.)

I just finished using a brew pad (first time) and controller similar to inkbird. Set it to 74 and was pleasantly surprised to confirm the ferment was 74. Very happy.

I'm sure the belts and plant mat would work, too, but I use my belts for kambucha and in 2 weeks I'll be using the plant mats for plants.

use a standard heating pad for humans tie around carboy works great.

i checked Amazon Canada and they are cheap. Sunbeam has one with 3 settings for $25 But how do you regulate? I guess you need to find out which setting gets the must temp to mid-70s? Trial and error I suppose?

I ferment in a small room and thus far I have been able to get the temps up nicely with a Dyson heater. I've been told the belts are the way to go though... If I did go that route, what do you recommend? Should I get one with one of those digital temp readouts?
What temperature is your room, and what temperature do you want?

the room is about 64 at this time of the year.. maybe even a touch less. It's cool. I ferment up to 74ish I suppose. The room is 6 by 9.5.

As sort of a sanity check, I ferment everything in my basement. Temps down there this time of year in Missouri are about 62-65F, somewhere in there. I don't own any way to add extra heat, brew belt, etc. I have never had any problems with any ferments. Once they get going, they generate their own heat quite effectively.

Craig (@cmason1957) and I have similar situations. I had no problems fermenting 48 gallons of wine last November at temperatures between 62 and 66 F.

An important difference in my process is that last summer I started making an overnight starter, as per FWK instructions. With a good yeast colony going, once the ferment starts, it goes like gangbusters. It doesn't care about temperature.

Interesting- always thought it should be at least 68. So i should have issue getting her going at 64? It's fresh must not a lot, fyi

Never made a yeast starter except for these fwk and in the winter months in my basement I always use brew belts, always. Cheap insurance I.
Basement temps at 60 most of the time nov. through march.

Never made a yeast starter except for these fwk and in the winter months in my basement I always use brew belts, always. Cheap insurance I.

that's what I figured. I am going to set the room to 70. Rather be safe...

Interesting- always thought it should be at least 68. So i should have issue getting her going at 64? It's fresh must not a lot, fyi
I've learned a lot about yeast in the last 8 months. I always thought the temperature needed to be higher, and if the fermentation is stuck, it certainly helps.

However, making an overnight starter with yeast, nutrient, and a bit of sugar provides a near ideal environment in which the yeast reproduces. The initial colony is not only larger, it is vigorous. Pouring it down the inside of the fermenter so it doesn't spread much, and even at 62 F the ferment took off rapidly. I recorded detailed notes on 4 batches, the last three in November 2021, where the temperature ranged from 62-66 F.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/wines-in-detail/

I’ve never made a yeast starter either, in the context of overnight. Lalvin yeast packets say to hydrate for either 15 or 20 minutes, then pitch. That’s what I follow. I’m curious to know the rationale for overnight. Was it experience, your yeast had those recommendations?

I’ve never made a yeast starter either, in the context of overnight. Lalvin yeast packets say to hydrate for either 15 or 20 minutes, then pitch. That’s what I follow. I’m curious to know the rationale for overnight. Was it experience, your yeast had those recommendations?
The Finer Wine Kits instructions state to make a starter using the included nutrient pack, and pitch it after 18-24 hours. My experience (see link in my last post) is that it works extremely well. The science behind this -- e.g., give the yeast a more ideal environment in which to reproduce to produce a much larger initial colony -- makes sense.

SO I suppose it can't hurt to hydrate the Lalvin yeasts for a longer period... I picked up some Wyeast nutrient and energizer - first time using it as I have only used the fermaid stuff in the past... I think the Wyeast is a reputable product..

Latest posts

Back