RJ Spagnols Ferment to dry in primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
I think I have my game plan but I am interested in how you guys schedule RG spagnols kit wines when fermenting to dry in primary instead of racking when below 1.020. I know it is just technique but interested how you guys do it.

I am making the Winery Series super tuscan. I was originally intending to follow the instructions but its been a long week. Everyones been sick and my 3 year old had to go to the ER for a 105 degree fever. Then I had to go away for work for 4 days. When I left 5 days ago my SG was 1.010. I removed the grape pack but never transferred to secondary. I haven't checked SG but I am pretty sure it is finished or close to it.

Now according to instructions you transfer to secondary at 1.020 or lower, DO NOT top off, and let it sit until below 1.000. The time line also has this part at 20 days which seams weird to me. Then after that it has you stabilize and add clearing agents and degas.

Because I missed the rack to secondary, I was thinking I would wait for the SG to reach 1.000 or lower, give it a couple extra days and then rack to carboy, stabilize, clearing agents, degas and then top off. Then let it settle for 2 weeks, rack off sediment and then start the bulk aging. Basically skipping the separate secondary for 20 days. Still wondering why you would need a 20 day secondary and if I should leave it in primary a little longer to compensate for this skipped step.

Thanks. Curious how you guys do it when fermenting to dry in primary.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Sounds pretty reasonable. IMO you should have no problems...I've done the same thing plenty of times.
The duration of the ferment to dry is variable. Guess it depends on the ambient temp, how quick the yeast took off, vigor of the fermentation, etc.
I've had durations vary from 8 days to 18 days. Just be sure the SG is below 1.000 and that the fermenting is completely stopped.
Don't wait too long, though. And be careful to do a thorough de-gassing.

When I ferment to dry in the primary with a wine that has grape skins (like the Winery Series), I take it to about 1.020 SG with the top just lying on the fermenter. I squeeze out the bag of skins real well, put an airlock in the lid of the primary and snap it down so that it is air tight. I leave it like this until there is no activity in the airlock for 3 days and then rack to a carboy, de-gas, stabilize and clear. After is has cleared fully, I rack into another carboy, change the solution in the airlock and add the airlock to the carboy for bulk aging.

When I ferment to dry in the primary with a wine that has grape skins (like the Winery Series), I take it to about 1.020 SG with the top just lying on the fermenter. I squeeze out the bag of skins real well, put an airlock in the lid of the primary and snap it down so that it is air tight. I leave it like this until there is no activity in the airlock for 3 days and then rack to a carboy, de-gas, stabilize and clear. After is has cleared fully, I rack into another carboy, change the solution in the airlock and add the airlock to the carboy for bulk aging.

Excellent. That sounds like what I'll do. I left it out but I did snap the lid down at 1.010. I plan on checking the SG tomorrow and if it is stable below 1.00 for the next 3 days I'll rack it on Saturday.

I am primary fermenting a Super Tuscan right now and my SG is nearing 1.02. When you squeeze out the bag, do you still leave the bag in there or remove the grape pack to complete the primary?

Last edited:
So should I just follow the recommended instructions?

Generally, that would be good advice!

On your specific question about removing the grape skins: I am nearly certain that Rocky did not mean to remove them early. Just keep them in your primary fermentation bucket until such time that you rack to your secondary vessel (i.e., carboy).

Latest posts

Back