Fermaid k, still need dap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
I added 12 g of fermaid k to my sauv blanc juice to aid fermentation. I plan on adding another 12 g as the fermentation nears completion.

Last year i also added diammonium phosphate but noticed I don't have any this year.

Do I still need to add dap w fermaid? Basically don't want to make the trip to the homebrew store since I moved and it's kinda far.

I used fermaid k to my Malbec and noticed an off smell. Added second dose but still a little smell. Added DAP and everything smelled great. It's sugar for yeast, whereas fermaid is a multivitamin.

I added 12 g of fermaid k to my sauv blanc juice to aid fermentation. I plan on adding another 12 g as the fermentation nears completion.

As far as I know Fermaid should not be added near the end of fermentation. Right at the start of active fermentation and optionally 1/3 of the way through. If you add too much nutrient near the end you risk feeding spoilage organisms and adding off flavors.

I recently finished a ferment with BDX yeast and two (half) doses of Fermaid -- one at the beginning and one at the 1/3 sugar break. I noticed it smelling farty at the end but did not want to add any more nutrient at that point. I think some extra DAP would have helped and will do that in the future. I did not add any this time because MoreWine's guide said it should not be required.

The fermaid k does contain the needed dap like I said it needs to be used in conjunction with each other and you use 1/2 of the fermaid k at start of fermentation along with the whole dosage of go ferm and the other 1/2 of fermade k at 1/3 sugar depletion you need to check the dosage rate

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back