Favorite Fruit Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovis

Reaction score
Do any of you have a favorite? So far mine are Kiwifruit and Banana.

Elderberry and blackberry. Or maybe blackberry and elderberry. Actually, I've blended the two and it was in the same league. So I'm saying blackberry, elderberry, and elderberry and blackberry.

We cant make enough dried elderberry meads, closely followed by black raspberry meads, right on the heels of cyser from our own apples and honey. I had to put up a special winerack called the keeper rack for long term storage since we were drinking our favorites faster and they didnt get to age out for years, we put a couple of bottles in the keeper rack and they go untouched until the main bottles are gone, then I debate with the wife when we should pull one out of the keeper rack. Sometimes we wait to long, 5 years can push it for some light strawberry wine while 100% strawberry can last that long, others like elderberry and the other berries have no problems hitting the 5 year mark and further, just that sometimes I dont win the debate and they get "tested" sooner than I had hoped:) WVMJ

It would definately have to be Elderberry followed by Cherry but I have only made Cherry once and I have another batch going now. I will be starting about 16 gallons of Elderberry here soon...

Not a fruit, but a vegetable - I am partial to rhubarb wine. I've made many different styles from dry to sweet to rhubarb with other fruits. They are all great.

I'm really struggling with this one, I think chokecherry is probably my favorite, elderberry, then blackberry. No wait! blackberry, elderberry, chokecherry, OH CRAP! why do I have such a hard time making such hard choices! Man, now I'm going to drink a bottle of each and think about it! I'll try to get back with you in a week to ten days! Dale.

I am just about to start bottling.

Making wine feels as ancient as making bread. This has been such an awesome hobby so far.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I would have to say to plain old apple is my favorite (so far.) One of the worst (initially) was White-grape/Raspberry from concentrate. Even after bulk aging for near a year it still tasted awful and was in need of some sweetener. I used maybe 2.5 cans? of Apple/cherry concentrate in 5 gals of the WG/R. The result was absolutely bonafide!!!

Last year when I was out of fruit, I dug some horse radish and made some wine. Definately not my favorite, I've been in "Johnny on the Jogs" that smelled better, "Wadden" brave enuf to taste it!!
Semper Fi

Last year when I was out of fruit, I dug some horse radish and made some wine. Definately not my favorite, I've been in "Johnny on the Jobs" that smelled better, "Wadden" brave enuf to taste it!!
Semper Fi

Favorite wine

This summer I started a Jalapeno wine for the wife to cook with. Have read that it is a good sipping wine when Ol' Man Winter blows. You can't help but taste wine when transferring (racking). Although it taste young, it had a good taste and not too hot. This just may take the lead. Will know in the spring.

We cant make enough dried elderberry meads, closely followed by black raspberry meads, right on the heels of cyser from our own apples and honey. I had to put up a special winerack called the keeper rack for long term storage since we were drinking our favorites faster and they didnt get to age out for years, we put a couple of bottles in the keeper rack and they go untouched until the main bottles are gone, then I debate with the wife when we should pull one out of the keeper rack. Sometimes we wait to long, 5 years can push it for some light strawberry wine while 100% strawberry can last that long, others like elderberry and the other berries have no problems hitting the 5 year mark and further, just that sometimes I dont win the debate and they get "tested" sooner than I had hoped:) WVMJ

I am with you Jack, seems we have quite a bit in common, We both have a passion for elderberries, and cultivate them, I am putting in 50 more common bushes this spring! We both keep bees, and seem to live a close to mother earth country lifestyle. Elderberry Melomel = natures most flavorful fruit combined with her perfect sweetener, fermented into a liquid ambrosia with robust body, flavor and aroma,

We have been battling spotted wing drosophila, they get into the berry and the fruit drops off while you are standing in front of the elderberry bush getting ready to pick them. We water sorted this years meager harvest and most of them floated away, got just enough to dry for some dried elderberry, I think each may have a worm inside so we are going to have to cut back a little on the nutrient additions:) Wild berries are a stable here on the farm, I once sort of moved some downed trees out of the wifes black raspberry patch with a front end loader knocking down all here wild berry bushes in the patch but I thought it would be safer and easier for here to pick in the coming years but it wasnt safer for me! After that I just leave things wild, she takes her dog down with her to pick to sniff out snakes and is most happy picking berries. WVMJ

I am with you Jack, seems we have quite a bit in common, We both have a passion for elderberries, and cultivate them, I am putting in 50 more common bushes this spring! We both keep bees, and seem to live a close to mother earth country lifestyle. Elderberry Melomel = natures most flavorful fruit combined with her perfect sweetener, fermented into a liquid ambrosia with robust body, flavor and aroma,

We have had no problem with the spotted wing drosophila. Odd how a few hundred miles can make a difference. When I first got this farm there were no elderberries. I had to drive for miles to find any. The division of wildlife gave me some to plant and they took off, when I process fresh elderberries I drive up to where the river enters our property and dump the seeds in the river. aside from what I have planted, we have a large population along the river and every backwater now. last year was a great harvest year for us. One never knows what the future may bring though.

Now, how long do you traditionally age your favorite wines?

I have Banana, Jersey Blueberry, Jersey Blueberry Port, Kiwifruit, Peach, Tart Cherry, and Red Raspberry all going for 2014.

Each is at least 3 gallons so I plan on aging 12 bottles of each wine for at least 6 months.

Do you all have methods for reserving wines you age and wines you drink right away?

Latest posts

Back