fresh cranberry wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your recipe, 4 lbs sugar to make 4.5 gallons of wine may get around 6% ABV (probably less), not ideal for bacterial protection. Two lbs sugar in one gallon will get you around 10% ABV.

Amylase is generally added to deal with starch. I don't believe it's necessary for cranberries.

100% cranberry juice will come in at 1.038 - 1.045. It does have sugar. Cranberry is fairly dry, a press should get 55 -60% juice yield.
Cranberry is a good source of pectin, the alcohol insoluble jelling agent.

In your recipe, 4 lbs sugar to make 4.5 gallons of wine may get around 6% ABV (probably less), not ideal for bacterial protection. Two lbs sugar in one gallon will get you around 10% ABV.

Amylase is generally added to deal with starch. I don't believe it's necessary for cranberries.
I must not have made it clear, I added 4 lbs sugar and then later I added another 4 lbs. I added amylase because I was trying to get as much fermentable material as I could plus physically helping to break down the structure of the berry.

I must not have made it clear, I added 4 lbs sugar and then later I added another 4 lbs. I added amylase because I was trying to get as much fermentable material as I could plus physically helping to break down the structure of the berry.
My bad! "Reading" and "comprehension" aren't always in sync early in the day.:oops:

According to my research cranberries have 4 grams sugar per 100 grams of berries. So my 15 lbs would have about 9.5 oz of sugar. Add 8 lbs of sugar and the sg would be about 1.097. Using the FermCalc app with these numbers I get a little over 10%. I can live with that.

Latest posts

Back