Fall wine: Italy or California?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about to get my juice buckets for my Fall production and I was wondering what you all thought about Italian vs. California juice. I am leaning toward California because I understand that it has been a very good year. I will be buying the following:

2 Zinfandel Royal (Royal = macerated a little longer)
2 Pinot Grigio
1 Cabernet Sauvignon
1 Merlot
1 Sangiovese

The latter three will be blended and co-fermented with Cabernet Sauvignon skins into my version of Rosso Fortissimo. I may or may not use Cabernet Sauvignon skins with the Zinfandel.

Whaddaya think?

I think you should mix it up. You can't go wrong by splitting the middle, as they say. Of course a lot has to do with the quality of the wine you get from the supplier.

I must be out of my mind but I ordered grapes this time instead of juice. Cali Central Valley & Lodi:
1- * Albarino (Vista del Luna) $51
2- * Malvasia Bianca $43

Guess I will be spending a lot of time learning a lot more about my wine making. ;) Should be a real adventure but I love a challenge.

Well gang, in a spate of nationalism, I bought all California juice (Mi scusi, Nonno!). I have 12 gallons of Zinfandel Royal with 5 kg of Cab Sauv grape skins, 12 gallons of Pinot Grigio and 18 gallons of something I will call Rosso Magnifico (2/3 Sangiovese and 1/3 Cabernet Sauvignon with 5 kg of Cab Sauv grape skins, co-fermenting). I meant to have 1/3 each of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, but when I got home, I discovered that my order had been pulled in error and I got two Sangiovese instead of one Sangiovese and one Merlot. It may turn out to be a blessing.

California or Italy

I was told but California wines are me exceptionally sure because they had a great growing season everything was in tune for making grapes in the vineyards out there are bursting with juice me myself I would go with Californians but I can't leave out my Italian heritage ,but any rate according to the two main juice distributors in our area the California wines should be exceptional.:HB

I think you will be happy with the cal, juice. I live in the south & grow almost all Muscatine grapes. A great year here too. I also grow a bunch grape called Spanish Black, this is only the 2nd yr, since I planted the plants, I Pick the grape pods off until the 3rd yr. I can hardly wait until next yr. It is to taste like a Marlow which is my choice of juice I get from Cal. Have fun. Buffalo.

So rocky, after two years, how did the Rosso Magnifico turn out?

Latest posts

Back