Fall 2011 price list out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you that have gotten Luva Bella juice in the past, did I read correctly that the yeast was alread added or did you still add yeast , nutrient, energizer etc? We're heading up Saturday to get our juice order.

Doug, the Carmenere I got last spring had the yeast already added. I'm sure these will too. Once it warmed up, it took right off.

I just checked Consumer's Produce (Pittsburgh) website to see if wine grape prices for Fall 2011 have been posted. I found a partial list of availability and prices. From my memory of last year's prices, it looks like the price of a lug (36#) has gone up by approx. $10.

Let's see $46 for 2 1/2 gallons of wine (My typical yield from a lug.), or $55 for 6 gallons of Cabernet Sauv. juice bucket ($47.00 at L'uva Bella)... I may have to revise my strategy for winemaking this Fall.

Consumer's Produce Listing
Products
Item # Description Price Order
09229 CABERNET SAUVIGNON LANZA VINE 36# $46.00
09235 OLD VINE ZINFANDEL LANZA VINE 36# $46.50
09234 PINOT NOIR LANZA VINE WINE GRP 36# $52.00
09231 PETITE SYRAH LANZA VINE WN GRP 36# $44.00
09237 SYRAH LANZA VINEYD WINE GRP 36# $44.00
09230 PRIMITIVO LANZA VINEYD WN GRP 36# $48.00

I just checked Consumer's Produce (Pittsburgh) website to see if wine grape prices for Fall 2011 have been posted. I found a partial list of availability and prices. From my memory of last year's prices, it looks like the price of a lug (36#) has gone up by approx. $10.

Let's see $46 for 2 1/2 gallons of wine (My typical yield from a lug.), or $55 for 6 gallons of Cabernet Sauv. juice bucket ($47.00 at L'uva Bella)... I may have to revise my strategy for winemaking this Fall.

Products

Consumer's prices went up considerably from last year. My wife and I are heading over tomorrow for lunch and to pick up our juice. I'm looking forward to the visit. Now I just have to clear a space in the basement tomorrow for 5 buckets of juice.

Products

Comparing fresh grapes from Lanza to a bucket of juice is like comparing a BMW 335i to a Chevy Cruze. The Cruze is a great car, but to complain about the 335i costing so much more doesn't make sense. Different animals.

Consumer's prices went up considerably from last year. My wife and I are heading over tomorrow for lunch and to pick up our juice. I'm looking forward to the visit. Now I just have to clear a space in the basement tomorrow for 5 buckets of juice.

It's not consumers prices that went up, but rather California grape prices that went up. Grape & juice prices are up at all suppliers. Supply is down, demand is up, and the weather is taking its toll on the crop this year.

Last edited:
Comparing fresh grapes from Lanza to a bucket of juice is like comparing a BMW 335i to a Chevy Cruze. The Cruze is a great car, but to complain about the 335i costing so much more doesn't make sense. Different animals.

It's not consumers prices that went up, but rather California grape prices that went up. Grape & juice prices are up at all suppliers. Supply is down, demand is up, and the weather is taking its toll on the crop this year.

Jacksmith,

Thank you for your opinion.

Bemmer VS Cruze. Hmmm? Both will get you to where you want to go. The question is do you want basic, everyday, inexpensive transportation? Or do you want to be pinned back in your doeskin seat, pick up chicks, and scream "I'm rich!" (Even if you're a poseur.) transportation.

Each have their place in my world. If I want the latter, instead of your Bemmer, I'll drive my 'Vette. If I want the former, I'll drive my Mercury.

In short, I don't make wine in order to impress other people. I make wine to impress myself. If I want to impress other people, I'll show up with a couple of bottles of "Screaming Eagle".

Wow, when I think of all the people with whom I have made wine, my Grandfather, my Father, my Father-in-Law, down through the years and the prices we paid for grapes, I am amazed. I would just like to see their reactions to these prices! I know we "old timers" like to talk about the "good old days" but this really makes me yearn for them. When I first made wine with my Father and Grandfather, a 42 pound box of Zinfandel or Alicante was $.75! By the time I left Pittsburgh in the mid-1970's, the price had steadily risen to $5.60 for a 36 pound box. With every price increase, I would hear, "That's it, I quit! These #@%& thieves! I am never making wine again...etc," but each Fall they would be back down the Strip buying again. We would normally yield about 2.5 to 3 gallons from a box, so even in 1975 a gallon was around $2. Now we are talking about $18.50 a gallon, but that is still only $3.75 a bottle! I remember when the price went from $.75 to $1.00 and my Grandfather through a fit on the loading dock. Still he bought the grapes from the #@%& thieves, and life went on! He was such a character!

Doug,

The juice comes already balanced and innoculated with yeast. All you need to do when you get home is, let it get warm and take a sg reading.

Doug,

The juice comes already balanced and innoculated with yeast. All you need to do when you get home is, let it get warm and take a sg reading.

Thanks for the info Julie. We were talking tonight about possibly visiting a few wineries in the area so we probably wont be home until after 5:00. Juice should have plently of time to warm up in th eback of the jeep.

Premiere Produce should have their prices out next week. I'll watch for them and let those know if interested.

If anyone is going to Luva Bellas ask if they have any used carboys. He was selling Better Bottles for $10.00. Picked up everything yesterday. The Merlot has already taken off. I got the two reds with heat belts onthem and letting the whites just go on there own. If they don't take off by tonight I'll give them a bit of heat to get started then remove it to keep a cool fermentation.

Jacksmith,

Thank you for your opinion.

Bemmer VS Cruze. Hmmm? Both will get you to where you want to go. The question is do you want basic, everyday, inexpensive transportation? Or do you want to be pinned back in your doeskin seat, pick up chicks, and scream "I'm rich!" (Even if you're a poseur.) transportation.

Each have their place in my world. If I want the latter, instead of your Bemmer, I'll drive my 'Vette. If I want the former, I'll drive my Mercury.

In short, I don't make wine in order to impress other people. I make wine to impress myself. If I want to impress other people, I'll show up with a couple of bottles of "Screaming Eagle".

Heh, that both is and isn't the point I was trying to make. I don't have a Bimmer. Or a Cruze. I'm more of a Jeep guy (but I wouldn't mind riding in your 'vette!). But I can appreciate that the 335i is a much nicer car made from better parts than the Cruze that will give the consumer the warm fuzzies - if that's what he's looking for. If that's not what he's looking for, but he still like to get there reliably, the Cruze is for him. The same goes for wine ingredients. If you're into fine wine and appreciate the nuances of the expensive stuff, and you want to make wine that rivals the expensive stuff, you need to pay more for grapes. If very fine wine isn't your thing, then you can get away with paying less for your ingredients. Neither approach is wrong because it is all subjective. Whatever flips your switch.

WOW!

Those are some pretty amazing prices for 36lb Lugs shipped all the way from the West Coast to the East coast......

I don't know how they can sell for that price with shipping across the entire country involved. :>

Back