f pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkutch

Reaction score
Curious what some of you guys use to sweeten a batch of wine made from grapes.

Most use a simple syrup made from sugar and water. Others make f packs of like type fruit

So just simple sugar water? Can you use can frozen concentrate like minute maide? what would be some of the down falls?

There are 2 different things

F-Pac = Flaver pac. adding flavor and a little sweetening

Simple syrup = 2 parts sugar to 1 part water to sweeten only

I am looking for ideas for F pack. One of my batches was picked early so the acid count is high. .75. So I want to turn it into a sweet wine like a white zin. Its currently going through cold stab. to try and lower acid.

Why not lower the acid with calcium carbonat?
what are you making and post the recipe so we can help.

I added Calcium and doing cold stab. However since the grape was picked early (given to me free with brix at 18) I am having to try things I have never done before. This is primitivo grape. Once I saw the numbers I new the wine would probably not hold up well for a long time so I decided to settle with a white zin style wine. I didnt keep the grapes on the skins but a few days. Everything so far is going well but I need to figure out how to sweeten it up and to give it a little better overall flavor.

It tastes great now but could use a little more body with a sweetener. Right now the acid is just a tad bit high. But should be fixed with Calcium and Cold Stab.

Other than that any suggestions greatly appreciated (its 5 gallons)

Using a frozen concentrate will give it other flavors while a simple syrup will increase the existing flavor profile. Its up to you as far as blending the flavor but I would do bench trials with small amounts with the amount of work you have already done with this batch. It would be a shame to ruin it after all the hard work but Im also betting this was a goo learning curve for you on many levels.

When you say syrup do you mean sugar water or grape concentrate that is purchased by the liter?

Its been fun to have to try things I have never done.

Simple syrup = 2 parts sugar to 1 part water
Heat water, add sugar, whish under heat till sugar is clear.

Can you purchase syrup like the ones sold with Orchard Breeze's?

Just thinking about trying something different.

Not the flavored ones but the link below is basically the inverted sugar with a little sorbate added to prevent itself from fermenting so you still need to add sorbate if you plan to use this product. If you want some extra flavor in it you could infuse your wine with some fruit by adding some fruit right into it for a little while like some people do with liquor. I have done this a few times with lemon zest to make lemoncello and also with rasberries and blueberries, it works very well.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=6375

Thats what I am looking for. Please explain how you add the fruits like raspberry and others. Never messed with making liquor. Just trying to think of ideas and this popped in my head because I just made my first Orchard Breez (Merlot Blackberry). I actually have 1/2 the blackberry package leftover.

gonna use fpack for my grape wine and also gonna add one to my pear this will be my first from scratch grape wine and decided to add one for the nose and maybe try some wood to this batch of pear also it was really good thouugh it was my first wine I ever made I got rave reveiws thanks to all you guys who helped me along my queston is when do I add the f packs? I have all this info saved but my computer is broke and I have the skins on my grapes and is fermenting with skins and seeds should I remove the skins and seeds? I do appreciate all your help thanks
smiley1.gif

F-Pac is added AFTER you stabilize. Meaning after you added the K-Meta and proper amt of Sorbate. Once added wait a week then add f-pac and clearing agents

What kind of grapes are these, some should come out quickly like whites and basically only cold soak in there, reds can be to taste depending on how much tannins you are looking to extract from these skins.

thanks wade and thanks tepe dont k.ow what kind of grapes these are I just know their not table grapes lol most are red few are white ! mixed both in the must to get enough grapes cuz last year was the first pruning they had in years!lol I expect Ill have more next year. The pear and the grape are both in their secondary now thanks again

these are just about half of them I got, I'm sure I'll get more next year since last year was the first year they had been pruned in like forever

Back