Extra wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumjump

Reaction score
I have almost a half gallon wine leftover from transfering from fermentation bucket to carboy. I put an airlock on it. But wasn't sure if that is too much head space or if I should put in in a smaller bottle with airlock. This one I'm doing is a Bergamais from my last can of Sun Cal. I can't believe how carboys can accumulate. I have 2 going now. And as soon as my other one I just orderd comes in I can start my Skeeter Pee's. The friend that started me on wine making was over the house the other night. I showed him what I had made so far and what I am going to make soon. All he did was shake his head and say "what have I created". I guess we could have worse addictions right?

If I have that much "left over" I would put it in a 1.5lter wine bottle

Thanks for the quick response Tom. I'm going to do that right now.

That is the reason I keep so many size containers (187mL thru 6gl).

I think you need medical help you are already addicted it won't be long and you will just like Tom and Dan

I always seem to have plenty of odd size bottles filled with extra wine. Don't waste it. Plus you can not only use it to top off your carboys but I have a magnum of blackberry I may just blend with a merlot this september for another wine.

In the event you still have some headspace in a bottle put it in the refrigerator. It will give you a little extra time until you can get a better size or use it to top off. Make sure you use sulfite to hinder bacteria.

I put it in a 1.5 bottle. Then went to get a bung, well I had about 6 for the smaller bottles and none for the one I needed. So, after long thought this is what I did. I put the plastic screw one for gallon jug with the hole in it and put airlock on. THEN (am I a geneous or what) put one of my heave small glass ornametal thing and set it ontop for a weight so no air will get in. Hopfully this will work. And yes, I know I need medical help. I get this terrible feeling when I see and empy Carboy!::

Next time you are at the local wine/brew shop... pick up the drilled stoppers in every size... you won't regret it!!

Debbie

soooooooo true I've got them up to #11 and I think I got one bigger not sure

I also took a sharp knife to whittle one down once... that is NOT easy!!

Debbie

Extra wine usually means its going to be a rough morning.

With the exception of 1 odd-shape 1.5L, everything else I have uses one of three size stoppers (#3, #6 or universal carboy bung).

Latest posts

Back