Extra from primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm still a few days away from taking my first batch from primary to secondary, but I have a question. IF I have to much wine for my secondary carboy, what do I do with the left over? Keep it in the primary bucket, put it in a secondary carboy even though it won't be anywhere near full, drink it? Just thought I would problem shoot before the "problem" arises! Thank you.

Put the extra in a glass bottle. I have an assortment of 1 gallon, 3L, 2L, 750ml, and 375 ml bottles.

Either put on:
1) Airlock
2) Cork
3) vacuum stopper

To add to the two experts before me, I ALWAYS make extra in the primary just for the reason JohnT states. You are ALWAYS going to need extra for topping up later.

Sounds good, I just east sure if the fermentation would 've the same in the smaller bottles with so much "head space". Thanks everyone!

You can use wine bottles for that little bit of extra wine. If you're using universal bungs, you can flip them upside down and use them on wine bottles.

The goal here is to maintain the least amount of headspace possible. Try to use the size of jugs that can be filled all the way.

The goal here is to maintain the least amount of headspace possible. Try to use the size of jugs that can be filled all the way.

Yep! Going forward I will do a bit more math so everything comes out better. Thank you all for the help!!

Back