Extra Carboy’s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Do I need an extra carboy? I noticedmany "deluxe" kits have two carboys.The deluxekit I ordered from this site appears to have one. I notice that most recommend racking from carboy to carboy so it appears I need another?

After my first kit gets going, I want to start another as the wife prefers whites and I prefer reds plus I really want to try an Island Mist kit. Guess I am going to need a bunch of carboys huh? But I really need to know if I need an extra one for my first kit I hope to have started in a few days
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

An acceptable alternative is to rack you carboy into the sanitized bucket. Clean and sanitize the carboy, then rack back into the carboy. The exposure to oxygen is minimal, but if you are going to bulk age after this racking, add 1/4 tsp. of sulfite when you rack back into the carboy.

You will find that you never seem to have enough carboys. Once you have several, you can plan your rackings so that you always have an available carboy.

George is no doubt correct in saying that you can use a sanitized primary for a quick fix.

I usually go by this rule of thumb
smiley20.gif
, however:

Wines in Carboys + 1 = If I have 2 5 gallon batches, I need to have 3 5 gallon carboys. If I have 3 5 gallon batches, I need to have 4 carboys. It makes racking so much quicker and easier, in my opinion.

smiley32.gif

I agree with MedPretzel, that extra carboy save a lot of time and makes things easier. I try to have one extra for each of the size carboys I have working....
smiley17.gif

wine making more than just a hobby.

Yeah, from what I have read here, looks like I am gonna need a few more.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

It really never ends...the extra carboys as standbys only later become used up and then the need exceeds the space. Only too soon the space gets expanded and the the inventory requires more needs....ain't this "hobby great?"
smiley36.gif

Bert said:
I agree with MedPretzel, that extra carboy save a lot of time and makes things easier. I try to have one extra for each of the size carboys I have working....
smiley17.gif

wine making more than just a hobby.

Yeah, that's why I've had to make an emergency stop to pick up another carboy...
smiley2.gif

Carboys are like rabbits, they just seem to multiply. It is great to have an extra carboy, but they do seem to get full and they you need another. When I got started, I created a spreadsheet to keep track of my wines. That way, I could plan on when buckets and carboys would be available for rackings. I lost this spreadsheet when my computer died last year, but if people want me to re-create it, let me know. It was written in Excel.

It's funny you say that, George, because I was thinking about using my pocket PC (handheld) to track my wines. Excel seems to be the best solution to the problem.

If someone else would like it too (don't go through the trouble just for me - I could do one too and we could compare), I'd be interested.
smiley1.gif

Have a happy "We beat the British" day!

MedPretzel said:
It's funny you say that, George, because I was thinking about using my pocket PC (handheld) to track my wines. Excel seems to be the best solution to the problem.

If someone else would like it too (don't go through the trouble just for me - I could do one too and we could compare), I'd be interested.
smiley1.gif

I was thinking the same thing (Using my Pocket PC) if it was in an Excel sheet, you can synch between desktop and keep on hand in pocket. If George had his handy spreadsheet for us, we could easily do this. I could make one up but I don't know what all info one would want on it.

Smurfe

Have a happy "We beat the British" day!

Drove 100 miles today to buy 2 23ltr carboys, would have bought another 15ltr beer kit (pilsner, anyone know what they taste like?) but they were out of empty beer bottles, I wanted to get a few cases of 1/2 bottles but they didn't have any of those either.

I have all of those items "In Stock". Too bad you are not closer, although at 30-40 cents per mile, my shipping costs might not be too high after all.

There's something about being in the store looking at all the TOYS, kinda like a kid in a candy store...lol

Why do you think I am changing my name to "The Wine Maker's TOY Store"?

Latest posts

Back