Evolving Styles for Marquette Wines

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

UBB

Reaction score
I've made it both ways. For my tastes, I've found I enjoy Marquette with very little oak vs heavy oak though admittedly I'm still a green horn in making it.

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It is a pretty interesting read. I have been using minimal oaking since my first batch of Marquette in 2006. That turned out too heavily oaked and I almost gave up on Marquette.

UBB

Reaction score
What BRIX do you prefer your Marquette to come in at generally speaking?

GreginND

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because Marquette is generally low in tannins, I like to do quite a lot of extraction of the skins and like it around 14% alcohol. So, 25 brim or so is what I look for. I add oak chips to the ferment to provide some structure without it being too much oak. I do oak it with medium toast American and French oak. I have a friend who puts it in neutral barrels with some oak chips for a couple of years and it comes out great.

UBB

Reaction score
Because Marquette is generally low in tannins, I like to do quite a lot of extraction of the skins and like it around 14% alcohol. So, 25 brim or so is what I look for. I add oak chips to the ferment to provide some structure without it being too much oak. I do oak it with medium toast American and French oak. I have a friend who puts it in neutral barrels with some oak chips for a couple of years and it comes out great.
Ok good to hear. Mine where measuring between 23-25 last wk-end so I should be good to go for my scheduled harvest on Saturday. I did add oak cubes at ferment last season and the wine is showing nice potential IMO. Thanks for the feedback

Latest posts