Evolving Styles for Marquette Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made it both ways. For my tastes, I've found I enjoy Marquette with very little oak vs heavy oak though admittedly I'm still a green horn in making it.

It is a pretty interesting read. I have been using minimal oaking since my first batch of Marquette in 2006. That turned out too heavily oaked and I almost gave up on Marquette.

What BRIX do you prefer your Marquette to come in at generally speaking?

Because Marquette is generally low in tannins, I like to do quite a lot of extraction of the skins and like it around 14% alcohol. So, 25 brim or so is what I look for. I add oak chips to the ferment to provide some structure without it being too much oak. I do oak it with medium toast American and French oak. I have a friend who puts it in neutral barrels with some oak chips for a couple of years and it comes out great.

Because Marquette is generally low in tannins, I like to do quite a lot of extraction of the skins and like it around 14% alcohol. So, 25 brim or so is what I look for. I add oak chips to the ferment to provide some structure without it being too much oak. I do oak it with medium toast American and French oak. I have a friend who puts it in neutral barrels with some oak chips for a couple of years and it comes out great.

Ok good to hear. Mine where measuring between 23-25 last wk-end so I should be good to go for my scheduled harvest on Saturday. I did add oak cubes at ferment last season and the wine is showing nice potential IMO. Thanks for the feedback

Back