RJ Spagnols EP Shiraz - any tips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmo1

Reaction score
Just purchased one of the EP Shiraz kits. Have made RJS kits before with great results (Trying tokeep away from aSuper Tuscan kit and let it age). Does anyone have any tasting notes or recommendations on improvements for the Shiraz kit?

Wade, How much Tancor Grand Cru do you typically add to a 6 gallon batch?

You use 1/4 tsp - 3/4 tsp per gallon and that really depends on tasting as per how much I use. Ive used as little as 1/2 tsp on a 6 gallon batch to 2 tsp on a 6 gallon batch. I cant see using the 3/4 tsp on any one gallon batch IMO

At what point in the winemaking process do you add this. I've got 3 RJS kits bulk aging right now and am always looking for ways to improve them.

Thx

These are post fermentation tannins which is the way I like it as you can taste test it. I pull one bottle aside and break down a simple amount of tannins and start low and make several samples each with different amounts of tannin and one with no tannin to go back to as Im tasting down the line. Once I find that sweet spot in between not enough and too much and multiply that amount by the 29 bottles I have left and add. I do all this after the wine has bulk aged approx. 1 year so its not green.

I'm still in long term testing of these tannins, however, I won't really be finished testing them until about 2013. I'm optimistic that I'll still be testing after 2012 (hahahah!)

I've heard some reports that some of these oenological tannins can "make all wines taste the same", so I'm experimenting with them. Here is a thread I started with dosages. I usually aim for about 20g/hl as a dosage rate, which is about 1 tsp per 23l carboy. It takes about 3 weeks to fully integrate and give you close to the final taste.

Thank you for the feedback! I have never used Tancor before. This will make for some interesting experimentation after it is bulk aged.

Thats for sure! Its just another tweak that makes this wine different from someone elses!

Just started the EP kit today. Specific Gravity starting out 1.105. Put the grape skins and the oak shavings in the bag. Last time I made a kit with oak shavings I just dumped them in the primary. It took forever to rack it due to the cane clogging up.

I dump it in and use the spigot which is installed just higher then where everything sits and right at the end tip the bucket to get every little bit out. I love the spigots myself and wouldnt go without them.

Just wondering how this kit is progressing for you? I plan to begin a syrah/shiraz kit this fall. Has anyone made and compared this EP syrah kit to the Winery Series syrah?

The syrahhas hadat about 4 weeks in the carboy. Added one med toasted oak spiral when I transferred it. Pulled some yesterday to sample. After swirling it for about 10 minutes, I had a really nice red berry nose witha good tannic finish. The oak was about perfect. I am planning on racking it off of the oak today.

One thing I have noticed about the RJ Spagnols kits I have made is the redshave a heavy cedar type nose to them. It seems unique to them only. I have a CC red mountain cab, and a MM masters old vines merlot that are in the carboyabout a week behind this syrah. Both of those are awesome!

Interesting, not something I have noticed so will look for that nest time I open a bottle but all mine are over 2 years old now so maybe thats gone by now.

I've never noticed that, and in the pacific northwest, everything smells like cedar out here. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Latest posts

Back