Cellar Craft Enzyme Pack in LOVZ

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TankCa

Reaction score
I just purchased a CC Showcase LOVZ and see they've added an enzyme pack. This must be new. Any idea what it is supposed to do?

I use enzymes prior to primary fermentation with fresh grapes to help break down the skins but for this kit the instructions say to add after primary fermentation. Adding post primary must do something else because the grape pack has already been removed.

Steve

Thats a new 1 to me! I have just sent them an email asking the purpose bu the only thing I can think of is to aid in clearing but will give you the true answer when they email me back.

I was wondering the same thing, Steve. My LOVZ kit was manufactured on 8/19. I thought I read that all recently made showcase kits were coming with the enzyme pack? I got an amarone showcase kit which was made on 7/8 and didn't include the enzyme pack.

Any thoughts?

The enzyme pack that Cellar Craft is adding is to reduce and remove the oily white film that all their grape pack kits have had in the past! There are a lot of posts on the film and it was quite off-putting to a lot of people who made their kits. I knew it was going to happen, so I didn't really care about it, but now they've fixed it with the enzyme.

Its funny cause thats what I was thinking when e first posted about this but dont understand why their product is the only one that creates that film that many talk about and why it wouldnt be added in the beginning to rid the wine of it before it happens but at least they did something about it. Thanks for the info Dean!

Here is the return email from Cellar Craft and that was fast from a weekend on top of it!

The enzyme package serves a few purposes.

> Helps clear wine faster

> Easier to filter

> Eliminates sediment in the bottle

&gt; Noticeable enhanced aromatics</font>

Just started this very kit today and saw this. Very confused for a bit as to if it was yeast nutrient or what. Instructions say to add after 1st racking as bentonite will neutralize it.

This should be interesting......

I have this one on deck. I will probably start it today. Mike, as you say, this should be interesting. By the way, I did not notice this film in the Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. When is it supposed to show up?

My CC Red Mountain Cab is now four months old and bulk aging. I racked off the Oak cubes that were supplied just a few weeks ago and didn't see any white oily film.

What I don't quite fully understand is that it says Bentonite will deactivate it so you must do a first racking before adding it. The instructions otherwise call for a normal first racking where you leave the heavy red sediment but rack everything else over into glass (including lees and probably quite a bit of Bentonite).

I will scan the new enzyme instructions so others can see.

Hmmm...

Looking at the directions for the enzyme pack again the instructions say "Your crushed grape wine will benefit from extended skin contact time therefore we recommend delaying the first racking to day 10-12. Skins can then be discarded. On day 10-12, add the enzyme."

They want you to leave this in primary for 10-12 days. Anyone else a little worried about leaving this in a bucket for almost 2 weeks. Even with the lid snapped and an airlock?

Not at all as long as you punch down the cap everyday at least once. I do all my kits with skins this way!
smiley20.gif

OK,

10-12 days in Primary it is. My batch is cooking like crazy today. I am punching the cap down twice a day. I will start a post with some pics once we are able to upload again.

What I do towards the end if fermentation is almost done or is I leave the lid on and just get a little violent and slosh it around a little to keep everything wet without letting out the C02.

Waiting 10-12 days will not hurt at all. In fact, Spagnols has you wait 14 days before the first racking. There is still plenty of CO2 in the wine to protect it from oxygen.

No problem at all leaving it in the primary for that length of time and towards the end I do the same as Wade and just slosh it around with the lid snapped on. When I rack this is when I love my racking cane in the fermenting bag trick, after I scoop all the skins off the top for a nice press.
VC

Looks like the upload feature is finally fixed....

Here is the new included CC instructions for the Enzyme Pack.

20091105_070209_Enzyme.jpg

Back