Entries for WineMaker Magazine's 2009 Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay fellow winemakers, we have one month remaining to get the entries in to the WineMaker Magazine Contest to help support George and possibly get a medal (or more) along with the perks that come with that from the wine kit manufacturers and George's generous gift certificate boost as well. Remember that the address has changed since last year, so be sure to look at the current information (as posted by tepe above).

There are plenty of categories for European and North American varietals along with fruit, sparkling, dessert, etc. Check them out and send your wines in - let's help George get Retailer of the Year and enjoy the rewards across the board.

- Jim

SENT MINE OUT TODAY,1 PEACH,,1RASBERRY SHARAZ,,AND ! BLACKBERRY PINO NIOR................LET THE GAMES BEGIN

My guess is that we will have 100-200 entries this year. Quite a jump from the 19 from last year. I hope I have to give out a lot of gift certificates!

I've been going thru my stash and I have 5 bottles I think are worthy of sending...Chocolate Raspberry Port, Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, Shiraz, and Chardonay.

Joan,

Is that by chance a bottle of the double gold port? Let them rip and let's see what happens.*cheers for Joan*

- Jim

Jim, I am sending George my chocolate raspberry port and maybe the Piesporter. Not sure which category the latter would go in.
smiley5.gif

Anyone know what category a Piesporter would go in?

JimCook said:
Joan,

Is that by chance a bottle of the double gold port? Let them rip and let's see what happens.*cheers for Joan*

- Jim

Yep, it's the double gold stuff. I really hate giving them a 750m bottle! The Pinot Noir won a gold 2 years ago so that should be good.

I wonder about my Amarone. I started it in November 2007, bottled in April 2008 so it will have been in the bottle a year when it's judged. Should I send a bottle or wait a year?

uavwmn said:
Jim, I am sending George my chocolate raspberry port and maybe the Piesporter. Not sure which category the latter would go in.
smiley5.gif

Am I remembering correctly? Didn't your port medal last year?? It should be really good now! =)

Is this a change from previous year sending ONE bottle of each entry? I thought in the past they required two bottles of each. I missed this previously and it may affect the number of wines I send over to them. I know you have entered this one before Joan, is this a change or was I imagining it?

Appleman,

Last year they started the one bottle instead of two - perhaps with 4000 entries, Winemaker Mag didn't want to deal with 8000 bottles. :)

Joan - go for it - the more the merrier, and if they win medals, you could put the dollars to more of the choco-tastic port kits if you were so inclined.

My three wines went in on Wednesday and should arrive today or Monday at the destination. I'm quite looking forward may range of submissions for 2010 as my first blend will be put to the test.

- Jim

appleman said:
Is this a change from previous year sending ONE bottle of each entry? I thought in the past they required two bottles of each. I missed this previously and it may affect the number of wines I send over to them. I know you have entered this one before Joan, is this a change or was I imagining it?

Appleman, I have never entered this WimeMaker's ...only the label contest... At State Fair and you used to have to submit 2 bottles. It does seem to change every 15 minutes!!
smiley4.gif

Can someone please help me find the correct category for Amarone? I'm thinking "28. Other Red Vinifera Varietals" is the correct category. Yes? No?

I sure would hate to waste a bottle of really good wine! =)

Edited to add:

Oh no! It may be category 29 or 30! Someone smarter than me...please help!

I would say 30 as this is a blend of Corvina, Rondinella, and Molinara.

We are putting all of the Amarone's from our customers in category 30.

Thank you, gentlemen! After I read further, it was the category I was leaning towards.

Yep, it's the double gold stuff. I really hate giving them a 750m bottle! The Pinot Noir won a gold 2 years ago so that should be good.

I wonder about my Amarone. I started it in November 2007, bottled in April 2008 so it will have been in the bottle a year when it's judged. Should I send a bottle or wait a year?
[/QUOTE]

I would think that would still be very young for Amarone.

geocorn said:
We are putting all of the Amarone's from our customers in category 30.

Why not # 28?
If from Juice that would still be a blend? #30

George...what wines are you entering? As I recall you won a couple medals last year.

Amarone is technically a blend of several grapes.

Joseph is working on our entries right now. Will post later.

Latest posts

Back