WineXpert Eclipse Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, Zinfandel is a medium-bodied red wine (Merlot, Sangiovese and Zinfandel).
http://winefolly.com/tutorial/wine-color-chart/
It can handle oak better than a light-bodied wine (Pinot Noir, St. Laurent, Zweigelt and Gamay), but less so than a full-bodied wine (Syrah, Malbec, Mourvedre and Cabernet Sauvignon).

My real point, though, is to think about the characteristics of the varietal before going too wild with the oak.

Heather

I found the cubes to be not enough for me. I've had initially plywood tasting Ridge Zin that got great after decanting. I like toasted oak on my Zin. Big.

I should have waited on the cubes until bulk like John, but I did add the cubes pee instructions, then added the French spirals (1.5 initially) when I started to bulk. Added the rest 1/2 at a time as I aged. I'm sure the spirals are "done" at this point, but everytime I rack, the spirals still SMELL great, so I rinse and put them back in

And I would skip the sorbate FOR SURE. If you going to age for a year, I think you could skip the fining agents as well. Others may have another opinion.

Sour_Grapes and Heatherd, I think you are both right. I've had Zin's that fit a wide spectrum from medium body to big and bold.

Thanks Kiwisholland, I've been getting heavy handed with heavy french oak in my blueberry wines. It's really really good.

By the way the Zin kit was pitched three days ago and is moving along nicely.

Back