WineXpert Eclipse Sonoma Pinot Noir - no grape skins or oak cubes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosco500

Junior
Reaction score
I just started this kit with a couple others and noticed it didn't come with grape skins or oak cubes. Most of the eclipse kits I have done came with both. Is this because this type wine doesn't need them, or is this WE just cheaping out? I'm trying to decide weather to oak it or not.

Pinot is lite on tannins as well as oak, thus the no skins or oak. If you oak go very, very lightly or you will completely bury the delicate pinot flavor profile in vanilla etc. Some Pinot kits come with oak but usually only an ounce or two of chips, not cubes.

Pinot is lite on tannins as well as oak, thus the no skins or oak. If you oak go very, very lightly or you will completely bury the delicate pinot flavor profile in vanilla etc. Some Pinot kits come with oak but usually only an ounce or two of chips, not cubes.

Exactly what I was wondering, Thanks. I'm going to leave it be.

I bottled one of these kits a little over a year ago and went strictly by the instructions. I added nothing. I just started to drink it and it is really, really good. I cannot imagine adding oak would make it better. Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts

Back