WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, from what I'm sampling it will be right up your alley. I do think it will take a couple of years to get real good. My Sangiovese Selection kit is much more drinkable at this point, as I think it should be. Little less potential for long term keeping than the Forza.

Hmmm. I was kind of against it initially, but I'm thinking seriously about this kit. The LP price is excellent.

I was going to do the CC Showcase Chateau du Pays next, but it's been out of stock at FVW for a while now and I thought it was supposed to be back in at this point.

What to do...

Hmmm. I was kind of against it initially, but I'm thinking seriously about this kit. The LP price is excellent.

I was going to do the CC Showcase Chateau du Pays next, but it's been out of stock at FVW for a while now and I thought it was supposed to be back in at this point.

What to do...

It's chewy, it's oaky, it has some raisin type flavors, it's got some alcohol. What's not to like? I'm willing to siphon off and send you a 375 ml bottle (though it's only 3+ months old), but you have enough experience to project what it'll be like in 2 years...up to you Jim. I'm your evil enabler ::!

Last edited:
Racked today. Boy this one has really changed in flavor. Here is where I am crippled, don't have a deep dictionary of terms for what I'm tasting, so I'll do my best.

Sort of a cooked sweet fruit flavor (maybe candied). Extremely well integrated. The early flavors stood out on their own. Now they seem more like a package deal. I'm tasting sweetness. I'm not noticing overwhelming oak. Warmth from alcohol is prevalent. Tannins are hidden, but there.

It's very good, just can't describe it. Bottled a few 375's when I racked it, so maybe one of the Jim's would like to take a shot at tasting and describing it. (Tied on a new leader, added the bait, waiting for a strike....)

What do you want in trade? For 375's, I have an Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot (15 months old, bottled in Aug), 2012 RJS Orange Chocolate Port, 2013 RJS Black Forest Port and a 2013 Blueberry Port from fresh fruit.

Racked today. Boy this one has really changed in flavor. Here is where I am crippled, don't have a deep dictionary of terms for what I'm tasting, so I'll do my best.

Sort of a cooked sweet fruit flavor (maybe candied). Extremely well integrated. The early flavors stood out on their own. Now they seem more like a package deal. I'm tasting sweetness. I'm not noticing overwhelming oak. Warmth from alcohol is prevalent. Tannins are hidden, but there.

It's very good, just can't describe it. Bottled a few 375's when I racked it, so maybe one of the Jim's would like to take a shot at tasting and describing it. (Tied on a new leader, added the bait, waiting for a strike....)

For 375's I have the Stag's Leap Merlot, too; the heavily tweaked Enigma and the Super Tuscan. All very young.

My Forza's been in the carboy for 2-1/2 months now with a medium plus French Wine Stix. Admittedly, I haven't tasted it in quite a while, but it's the next wine up for racking / tasting just after Thanksgiving. Last I tasted it, it was coming along quite nicely. My notes agree with the tannins being present but somewhat subdued, may add some finishing tannins after oaking.

It's my first wine using the Wine Stix, which are supposed to complete their "one per carboy" oaking in 2 -3 months, purportedly extracting both short grain and long grain oak flavors. They definitely don't come on as quickly as spirals. Time will tell the tale.

This kit sounds amazing, went ahead and bought one at LP myself with BM4x4. Some time in a barrel and hopefully this will be a stellar wine.

What do you want in trade? For 375's, I have an Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot (15 months old, bottled in Aug), 2012 RJS Orange Chocolate Port, 2013 RJS Black Forest Port and a 2013 Blueberry Port from fresh fruit.

No trade needed. Eventually it all evens out. If you seriously want me to UPS a 375 down so you can try it out before ordering it, just PM me your address.

Remember, it's very young (I think it was started late July).

I pulled the trigger earlier today. Since it's a LR, I bumped it ahead of the CDP. I'll do that one in a few months.

I have an extra pack of BM4X4 left from the CA harvest and will probably use that.

I got two of these. I used BM4x4 on one, will use the RC212 on the other when I start it.

Looking forward to tasting any difference.

Next rack on the BM4x4 is 1/2016

I got two of these. I used BM4x4 on one, will use the RC212 on the other when I start it.

Looking forward to tasting any difference.

Next rack on the BM4x4 is 1/2016

No wine thief "pre" tests? You are much more patient than I am!

I thought about getting two of the discounted Valpolicella's and using either different yeasts or extra tannins in one and not the other. Gonna be the only way I learn what this stuff does.

I have tried some. The best kit I've made so far, but that could be me, not the kit -less mistakes on my part.

No bentonite, no sorbate, no clarifiers. Doubled the oak chips in primary. Full medium French oak spiral in bulk aging.

I found it very fruity. Hot taste.

This is the kit with the least amount of kit taste that I've made so far, but that is still the predominant taste to me at this point.

Should be yummy in 18 months or so. I'm hoping for a barrel for Christmas and I hope that helps my kits out.

Glad you liked the taste!

Only change I did was to add the small oak cubes after racking off of the sediment from the use of the clarifiers and leaving them in there for a few months. Oh, also didn't add the EC-1118 yeast.

Definitely a heavier bodied wine with lot's o dark fruit and alcohol. The heat from the alcohol should integrate, especially if you age it 18 months.

I still don't really know what "kit" taste is, so I couldn't tell you if I had it or not.

Feel blessed that you can't perceive kit taste!! That's all I smell when I first open a carboy, but it dissipates. Decanting should help

Latest posts

Back