WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the 1.5L for New Years Eve if it's ready. If not next New Years Eve!

Christmas Day is nice too but then I fall asleep on the couch before I get the big family dinner done.

Craig, mine will be ready for racking in a couple of days. I'm gonna skip the supplied oak cubes and add a med heavy French oak wine stix to the carboy and see how that works out. I'll be curious to hear how you do with the cubes. Keep us posted...

John, how long do you think you'll keep those wine sticks in? I've never used them. Have used some spirals before (from LD Carlson I think) and they seem to take a few months to get everything out of them.

I think they say to keep the cubes in for 8 days according to the directions. I figured I'd wait till I rack the wine off of the top of the clarifiers and let the cubes hang out for 6 to 8 weeks. I'm trying to make a few kits following the instructions so that I have a basis for when I remake the kit and change things up. I know they only specify 8 days for the cubes, but it seems like a waste of good oak flavor to me!

John, how long do you think you'll keep those wine sticks in? I've never used them. Have used some spirals before (from LD Carlson I think) and they seem to take a few months to get everything out of them.

I think they say to keep the cubes in for 8 days according to the directions. I figured I'd wait till I rack the wine off of the top of the clarifiers and let the cubes hang out for 6 to 8 weeks. I'm trying to make a few kits following the instructions so that I have a basis for when I remake the kit and change things up. I know they only specify 8 days for the cubes, but it seems like a waste of good oak flavor to me!

May want to check the instructions on the cubes. I believe they say 8 WEEKS, at least the ones I have used need that much time. It takes that long to extract the full flavor from a cube. Chips can give their all in 8 days.

Craig, according to the product specifications, the stix are supposed to be most effective if left in for 2-3 months, allowing for extraction of both the short grain and long grain flavors. The size and configuration of the stix is purported to be designed for 5-6 gallon batches of wine in carboys and mimic the effects of a second use barrel. The extraction of the short grained flavors is imparted sooner than the long grain and removal early deprives the wine of the flavors of the long grain extraction (which I think are supposed to mellow the flavor). Having said all of that, I've only used half of a stick once for about 7 weeks, but intend to go the full pull on my next few wines to see what the results are.

Last edited:
May want to check the instructions on the cubes. I believe they say 8 WEEKS, at least the ones I have used need that much time. It takes that long to extract the full flavor from a cube. Chips can give their all in 8 days.

My instructions said to put the cubes in when I Kmeta/Sorbate/Clarifiy after racking. Then there is no mention of moving them the next racking which is 8 days. So I just think I'll wait till I rack in about a week and add the cubes then.

Just get a cheap inexpensive merlot or chianti if you want something more Italian in nature. Trader Joe's has some very inexpensive Amarone's but I don't think its worth the $$$

At this point I'm right at the base of the neck of the carboy, even though I endured a small degassing volcano. I imagine I'll only need a couple cups of something cheap like @ibglowin mentioned. I just happen to have a few bottles of cheap Sangiovese in the basement.

At this point I'm right at the base of the neck of the carboy, even though I endured a small degassing volcano. I imagine I'll only need a couple cups of something cheap like @ibglowin mentioned. I just happen to have a few bottles of cheap Sangiovese in the basement.

Try the La Sorte Ripasso Valpolicello available on Ch. Selection at the state store, Craig. $12 and I really like it (even though it's from our commie liquor system).

My carboy is sufficiently filled right now after the kmeta/clearing, etc., but once I do the next racking, i'll probably need to top up a bit, got a couple of things here to top with. That's also when I'll drop the oak in and let er roll for 3 months.

Try the La Sorte Ripasso Valpolicello available on Ch. Selection at the state store, Craig. $12 and I really like it (even though it's from our commie liquor system).

Might head over to the Carlisle outlet tomorrow. They have one bottle in stock (Hanover does also). Can stop in and see if the Giant over there has some Boar's Head Manchego cheese in stock, then have a wine and cheese tasting Friday evening.

I used a nice Merlot I had on hand. Didn't quite take a full bottle, so I treated myself to a glass of the Merlot while I was working on it. I believe further back in the post there was a suggestion also of Chianti and / or Valipolicella.

I do like the early flavor of the RC-212 so I had planned on using it. As I remember, EC-1118 is pretty neutral so it shouldn't take too much away from the flavor profile of the 212 in the earlier part of the ferment.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Well I reading this thread knowing that I plan to start the Forza in a few weeks. I am especially intrigued to read of the two yeasts. I agree about the early flavor of the RC212 and have always liked when kits come with it. I have even substituted it a time or two when I have thought appropriate not to worry about it not finishing due to high alcohol.

I just started a Cellar Craft Amarone with super grape pack. So I decided to try starting it with 212 and then finishing it with 1118. It worked like a charm, 212 took it to about SG 1.01 and the 1118 finished it at .994. It started at SG 1.100 on day one but I'm sure the super pack kicked it up a bit more.

Yesterday, day 17, I went to clear it. After tasting a bit I was astounded at it's flavor. Literally layers of fruit and oak. So I decided not to risk stripping any of the flavor and simply degassed a while and added the provided dose of K-meta. Since it's an Amarone and I will let it bulk age for 9 months or so, I should clear decently on it's own. I have always insisted on my wines being as clear as possible but I just couldn't mess with this one.

I can't wait to start the Forza and see how the 212 and 1118 does with that one.

Well I reading this thread knowing that I plan to start the Forza in a few weeks. I am especially intrigued to read of the two yeasts. I agree about the early flavor of the RC212 and have always liked when kits come with it. I have even substituted it a time or two when I have thought appropriate not to worry about it not finishing due to high alcohol.

I just started a Cellar Craft Amarone with super grape pack. So I decided to try starting it with 212 and then finishing it with 1118. It worked like a charm, 212 took it to about SG 1.01 and the 1118 finished it at .994. It started at SG 1.100 on day one but I'm sure the super pack kicked it up a bit more.

Yesterday, day 17, I went to clear it. After tasting a bit I was astounded at it's flavor. Literally layers of fruit and oak. So I decided not to risk stripping any of the flavor and simply degassed a while and added the provided dose of K-meta. Since it's an Amarone and I will let it bulk age for 9 months or so, I should clear decently on it's own. I have always insisted on my wines being as clear as possible but I just couldn't mess with this one.

I can't wait to start the Forza and see how the 212 and 1118 does with that one.

If you read carefully I actually never had to add the EC-1118, a few talked me out of it, went dry with the RC-212. Just racked it off the clarifiers yesterday and added the 30G of French oak cubes. I really like the taste, can't wait until it has been on the oak for awhile. Plan on aging on the oak until at least Thanksgiving (that's about 2 1/2 months and I'd be racking and Kmeta-ing at that point anyway).

Edit: Final gravity was 0.993.

Last edited:
So, I was talking with Matt @ LP and went back to read through this thread again.

I've committed myself to buying one of these and starting it over the holidays.

I'm finishing up the Super Tuscan this weekend and will have equipment sitting idle till then. Can't wait.

Latest posts

Back