WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mixed it up a few hours ago. Measured 1.096 immediately after adding the grape pack (1.090 prior to that). I'll stir it up again shortly and will either pitch the yeast before bed or when I first wake up in the morning. I like to get measurements after the grape pack has begun to dissolve.

SG was up to 1.104 this morning. I got an RC212 starter going and pitched.

I couldn't resist the urge to tinker though - had to add about 8g of FT Rouge.

I'm expecting my kits to arrive early next week (the LP guys are awesome, btw).

I want to start this one first, then the chard kit, since (from what I've read) the chard likes a cooler temp during primary ferment.

Can't wait.

I also read that adding tannin will sometimes wash out some of the color of a red wine. Is that true or is that not a concern with this kit?

Last edited:
I also read that adding tannin will sometimes wash out some of the color of a red wine. Is that true or is that not a concern with this kit?

Morewine has this to say about FT Rouge:

How Fermentation Tannins Work Designed specifically for North American red wine fermentations, Scott'Tan FT Rouge is composed of exotic wood and chestnut tannins. These highly reactive tannins bind with anthocyanins (color compounds) in the first 3-4 days of fermentation. If sufficient natural tannins are not present in must, anthocyanins may precipitate, resulting in a loss of color. Using an enzyme like Lallzyme EX in conjunction with FT Rouge can enhance this binding of color. The continual bonding going on throughout the ferment will also improve the mid palate structure and help either significantly reduce or eliminate vegetal/herbaceous characters. Tannin additions at this early stage prove to be most efficient and are better integrated into the wine.

I assume that the additional tannins will assure that there are enough as to preserve the color, though I don't have enough experience yet to say so first hand.

Cruising along. I pitched only the RC212 and as of this morning, it is already down to 1.040.

LP rocks, just wish they carried RJ's and CC as well...

Yep - but with the distributor right around the corner from them, I get why they're exclusively WE.

I got home tonight to two heavy boxes. I was tempted to start pouring juice in the bucket, but I don't have any spring water in the house. It can wait till tomorrow. [emoji19]

Mixed the juice, oak and sack o grape skins. It's been an hour. OG w/o skins was about 1.082. If I go down and the SG is 1.102 or better, I'm pitching yeast.

I think I have some FT Rouge downstairs somewhere. Mwahahahahah!

Last edited:
Yep - but with the distributor right around the corner from them, I get why they're exclusively WE.

I got home tonight to two heavy boxes. I was tempted to start pouring juice in the bucket, but I don't have any spring water in the house. It can wait till tomorrow. [emoji19]

I'm so bad when something arrives at my door! It usually goes straight to the fermenter! But I refrained from starting my eclipse kit right away cuz I wanted to make sure I had secondary available before starting.

Just ordered from LP last night, reading through this thread kept asking myself why not?
Not sure when I will get it started, but will probably follow what others have done.

Steve

I was at 0.998 this morning. I'll rack to secondary after the little one's basketball practice tonight.

but it's the next wine up for racking / tasting just after Thanksgiving. Last I tasted it, it was coming along quite nicely. My notes agree with the tannins being present but somewhat subdued, may add some finishing tannins after oaking.

Hey John, have you racked your Forza yet? Just curious how those wine stix are tasting. Also wondering what your finishing gravity was, mine was 0.993 @ 70*F which corrects to 0.994.

Also curious on what Jim and Jim get down to, not like it's a competition or anything.

After 2 days, it's 1/4 the way through fermentation. I'm going to assume a 1.112 OG (I doubt it went much higher than that with the skins) and it was at 1.080 at last night's 'stir 'n squeeze' at 72*. I wish it were a little warmer down there to avoid a stall. I'd rather not pitch the second yeast.

I'm planning on holding the tannin for finishing and will drop the oak cubes and Tannin Riche at the same time.

...at last night's 'stir 'n squeeze' at 72*. I wish it were a little warmer down there to avoid a stall. I'd rather not pitch the second yeast.

My basement is around 68 right now and mine is chugging along a little faster than I'd like. I like to try and get 9-10 days on the skins with kits, but barely got 8 on this one.

My basement is around 68 right now and mine is chugging along a little faster than I'd like. I like to try and get 9-10 days on the skins with kits, but barely got 8 on this one.

The primary is really chugging away here, too... It's got a nice beat, but I still can't dance to it. :db

I'll check SG during tonight's stir 'n squeeze. I would be surprised if it's any lower than 1.060. But, then again - this is only my 7th kit and I don't know what I don't know.

Latest posts

Back