WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Craig, I'm away from home this weekend at my property protecting the general public from deer and ducks. I'll check my notes on Sunday to see where mine finished up and let you know.
As for the wine stix, I have 5 carboys, all different wines in need of oaking, each with a medium plus French oak in them. After the recommended 3 months, I find them all in need of another treatment with a fresh one, I haven't racked and replaced them yet, but did a tasting earlier this week. I should say that my affinity for oak is pretty high, but that's the beauty of making your own. In the future, I'll start off with two per carboy. I might also boost the tannins just a bit on the Forza.

As for the wine stix, I have 5 carboys, all different wines in need of oaking, each with a medium plus French oak in them. After the recommended 3 months, I find them all in need of another treatment with a fresh one, I haven't racked and replaced them yet, but did a tasting earlier this week. I should say that my affinity for oak is pretty high, but that's the beauty of making your own. In the future, I'll start off with two per carboy. I might also boost the tannins just a bit on the Forza.

I am curious about the ending SG, but really wanted to know how those wine stix worked out.

My affinity for oak is increasing the more I make red oaky wine. I do try and remember it is one of the flavor/aroma components in the large palate available to us as wine makers, the grape and fermentation characteristics contributing most of them. ie. I try not to make too many oak bombs (monsters), maybe one once in a while on a cheaper kit to hide any flaws.

Oh, and I thank you for your willingness to serve and protect us from all of that dangerous wildlife. I just had a goose do a fly over of my car, if I didn't have a good windshield I may have gotten a concussion.

Were these the small 6" Winestix by chance?

Hi As for the wine stix, I have 5 carboys, all different wines in need of oaking, each with a medium plus French oak in them. After the recommended 3 months, I find them all in need of another treatment with a fresh one, I haven't racked and replaced them yet, but did a tasting earlier this week. I should say that my affinity for oak is pretty high, but that's the beauty of making your own. In the future, I'll start off with two per carboy. I might also boost the tannins just a bit on the Forza.

SG now at 1.030. Temp at 71*. The mad bubbling of the airlock seems to have all but stopped. Since no one has done it to my knowledge, I felt froggy tonight and pitched the additional packet of yeast. It's still got a little ways to dry.

Maybe I shouldn't make wine while I'm drinking it. [emoji41]

Maybe it was nothing. But, I figure that they manufacture these kits to be idiot proof, so it's up to me to build a better idiot. Airlock activity is back to normal this morning....

Last edited:
Ok, I'm back home, checked my Forza notes and it bottomed out at .994 after a fairly long sit in the secondary AF carboy. Just wouldn't go any more.

As for the Wine Stix, for both Craig and Mike, I purchased the "carboy" sized product which turns out to be 8-1/2" long. They're about 1/2" thick with diagonal raised ridges on them and a hole drilled in one end. This being my maiden voyage with them, I followed the recommendation of one stick per carboy for three months to achieve full long and short grained oak flavors. After three months, I want more.

If I can muster the will, I'll be racking, adding KMS, and a new Wine Stix to five different wines, Forza, Nebbiolo, Borolo, Lodi Ranch Cab, and a Super Tuscan. The oak's there, but not all the way to my taste. In the future, I'll be using 2 per carboy.

BTW, I ordered directly from the manufacturer in 25 stick quantities, much better price that way.

I transferred into a Carboy tonight. It's got a bit of a head on it now and is bubbled up to the top now. I went through this before. Pretty sure it'll get a little pukie, then calm down and finish to a bone dry 0.990.

Also had an unusual problem with my siphon. Got down to about 1 gallon in the primary and it wouldn't moving any more from A to B. I literally had to pour the remains over and try not to get too much of the bottom silt with the wine.

I'll be glad when Christmas comes (I've been really good this year, Santa says I'm getting an AIO).

Last edited:
This one is so dark. I check in daily. Going to test the SG this weekend. Should be pretty dry.

I'm going to drop the oak after clearing and during bulk aging. A question: do I just use the 30g of cubes provided? Or would a stick of med Fr oak be better?

Last edited:
I think it has the body to handle both. I'm considering adding a medium + spiral now that I've sampled it after racking off the cubes and letting it sit for a few months.

I checked the SG tonight. We're at .996 and the Carboy is about 65*. I'm thinking about putting a heating pad under it to maybe squeeze a little more fermentation out of it.

Two days later and we're at 0.990. Transferred to another Carboy and added KMeta and chitosan packets. Had a little taste - it is pretty hot, at 16% ABV. Hard to get past that. I'm going over to the LHBS and picking up some oak.

There's about 500ml or so of space in the Carboy. The instructions say that's fine. But, I'll need something to top it off next week. I have a Super Tuscan on the shelf, but I was thinking of getting a Corvina or Barbara (if I can find something decent at our soviet style state stores).

Glad this is the last transfer I'll do manually. Next transfer will be with the AIO over the Christmas weekend.

A valplicella ripasso would be a good topper, if not an Amarone (but that's an expensive top up). I'd be inclined to simply use the super tuscan though.

So that now begs the question, why do you PA'ers put up with that Gestapo CRAP???????

Even WA State overturned State controlled liquor stores last year and guess what........

The world did NOT end for them either!!!!!! :D

So that now begs the question, why do you PA'ers put up with that Gestapo CRAP???????

Even WA State overturned State controlled liquor stores last year and guess what........

The world did NOT end for them either!!!!!! :D

I work for the legislature... Trust me, I ask myself that question every stinking day.

Latest posts

Back