WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda wish I wasn't getting updates about the Forza as I bottled it in Oct and I'm really trying to forget about it and leave it alone, lol. I barrel aged mine a few weeks in a brand new Hungarian barrel so hope the oak is noticeable. It was my first attempt at barrel aging.

I promise, no more random tastings until I bottle it. I am very curious as to your oak levels because that is the one thing I think is lacking in mine to this point. Half tempted to throw a spiral in there, but I do want to keep it within the scope that the manufacturer was aiming for with the kit. Hard not to tinker sometimes...guess that is the short order cook coming out in me.

I promise, no more random tastings until I bottle it. I am very curious as to your oak levels because that is the one thing I think is lacking in mine to this point. Half tempted to throw a spiral in there, but I do want to keep it within the scope that the manufacturer was aiming for with the kit. Hard not to tinker sometimes...guess that is the short order cook coming out in me.

I dropped a good bit of oak chips in with the cubes... Another 1/2 cup more oak. I'll let you know what that does, Craig.

Just racked to out of secondary, SG 0.992. I had a similar experience, taste was a bit sweet, a bit disappointing. Tannins were weak, I am getting nervous.

Just ordered this one I know its still quite early but any updates on how things are coming alone???

Just ordered this one[emoji4] I know its still quite early but any updates on how things are coming alone???

Mine is in a carboy on oak right now. It's only been a couple of weeks. It's hot and still needs to degas some more. But, it's got decent body. Will taste the Forza again when I rack in two months. It should be significantly better by then.

How about anyone who started this kit over the summer? What's this like at 6 months?

Mine's getting pretty close to that age at about 5 months, very fruit forward, less tart now than it was in previous tastings. Still pretty young at 5 months, but I still have high expectations. I've been oaking / bulk aging and the oak is starting to come around to my liking. The Forza will be the first wine that goes into my new Vadai barrel later this week, albeit for a short soak.

I think I'm within a week of six months. I racked it to glass so I could degass some more last night and had some of the dregs. I found myself going back for more and overshot my bed time by an hour. It is good now but expect it to be really good in another year or so. Some of the fruitiness is hiding the oak, hence I think you guys throwing some extra oak at it are on the right track. Got Noma corks so I can hide a case for a few years in the "Sanctuary" and not have to worry about leaky corks. I think the first quality LD Carlson corks are only good for about 30 months.

I clubbed the sloth tonight enough to eak out a Forza bottling. Happy I got 11 of the little guys for sampling. So if I go one a month after it's 1st birthday, and only give two to @jgmann, I'll make it to 21 months before opening a 750 ml bottle. If I follow the plan there is a chance I'll get a few bottles to 36 months, which is where I think this one will start getting good.

Hopefully W.E. will get a good response and offer it again in the future.

1-18-16_Forza.jpg

I pitched 8/8/15 with BM4x4.

I have the majority bulk aging in a 5 gallon carboy with two 6" French med. toast spirals.

My initial taste opinions when I racked to this carboy was that it was hot and very fruity.

I have another almost full gallon jug with just the left over oak cubes from secondary. I use this to top the 5 gallon and some other 5 gallon bulks I have going. I drank a couple glasses from that 1 gallon the other night. Hotness is gone, still very fruity but nice! Not enough oak for me in this portion, I'm sure the 5 gallon portion is better with oak. I try it next weekend when I rack.

I enjoyed the wine, but still taste/smell the kit taste. The wine is very subtle and developing. I expect it to be very nice in a year or more.

A couple more wines I had recently:
-Some yellow tail level Malbec at a restaurant. The kit was much better!
-Kutch McDoughal Ranch Pinot. The kit isn't even the same sport at this point, let alone the same league. I know they are much different varietals, just talking quality levels.

This kit will be a great every day drinker. You will be happy with your purchase.

I clubbed the sloth tonight enough to eak out a Forza bottling..

Ouch!! Once the wine hits the bottles, the owner does the same thing!!

I think we pretty much fermented during the same time frame right when the kits hit the streets, I pitched yeast 7/28/15. Mine's been bulk aging and when it takes a short barrel ride, is going back to glass. I hope to get it back in the barrel later as it starts to go neutral, for a longer ride.

At any rate, if you have any left when I bottle (intentional friendly jab), We should swap a bottle for a little taste testing.

Ouch!! Once the wine hits the bottles, the owner does the same thing!!

I think we pretty much fermented during the same time frame right when the kits hit the streets, I pitched yeast 7/28/15. Mine's been bulk aging and when it takes a short barrel ride, is going back to glass. I hope to get it back in the barrel later as it starts to go neutral, for a longer ride.

At any rate, if you have any left when I bottle (intentional friendly jab), We should swap a bottle for a little taste testing.

John, I think I started mine 7/24/15, don't have my notes here at work. You have pegged me alright, but notice those 11 little bottles, those will be my best chance of aging this one properly. Luckily I have a Diablo Rojo, Sangiovese, Valpolicella and Merlot blend I have to walk past before getting to the Forza. The Diablo Rojo is down to 15 bottles, so that one has been hit the hardest (which is good, it is the cheapest kit of the bunch).

I used those fancy Noma corks, so I have to at least keep a case of 12 until it hits the three year mark, then we can swap!

Mine shipped today. I'll be using nomacork also... Thank you label peelers, you guys are second to none! Always a pleasure ordering from you. Thanks for your outstanding customer service!

I forgot, I doubled the oak chips as well. The first Forza kit delivered had damaged accessories. The chitlosan had broken open and leaked all over the accessories. Only the Yeast and bentonite were damaged. LP sent me a new accessory kit with another batch of oak chips, so I added all of them including the original

Last edited:
Well, it's a done deal. The Vadai has been holding water leak free for three days and now the Forza is comfortably resting inside. I think it's happy.
Racked out of the carboy into the barrel and was pleased to find not a speck of sediment. Added 1/4 tsp KMS, ended up with nearly a full 750 to use for topping up. Naturally, I stole a taste, very evident berry flavors, still a bit tart and green, but pleasing. Tannins were a little firmer than I remembered, but I was drinking a Pinot before I tasted it. Still optimistic.

Back