WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that the response has been so good for this kit that the distributor is OUT of STOCK for the rest of the year. Retailers have what they have... at least till next year.

Mine is finishing up its one month turn in the barrel, it was the first wine to go in. I'll be racking it back to glass this weekend and filling the barrel with its next victim. I did thief a little taste this past Sunday while topping up, the barrel has definitely improved this wine in a short period of time. Taste tested it against the bottle reserved for topping up and find it to be a whole lot smoother, tastes like two completely different wines, the fruit has laid back, no tartness at all and the oak is coming through nicely. Kudos to the Vadai.

What about flavors? How does this compare to the Amarone, for example? The last I tasted mine, the taste was overpowered by the alcohol. Any berry or plum was fairly well masked.

Jim, I'd be lying to you if I told you I could pick out a specific flavor in this wine (and many other kit wines for that matter), but I can certainly tell the difference in very fruit forward wines vs those that have their fruit well integrated with the alcohol and oak. Compared to the top up wine, which hasn't seen the barrel, there is a noted difference, a good one, not all fruit like before. Every now and then I can pick out a cherry or plum, tobacco, leather, but I just don't get it from every wine.

I currently have three different Amarones in bulk aging and really haven't done any kind of tasting of them yet, they've only been aging 4 - 6 months. I'll probably sneak a taste when they go into the barrels in a few months.

I tasted this one for the first time since racking. It's further along and more refined that the Amarone I started last month. Similar flavor profile. I think this is going to be outstanding eventually. Got a sour cherry taste, hard to discern much else at this point.

I need another carboy.

Did I give you a 375 of my Forza or am I dreaming? I do dream quite a bit, alcohol helps that along.

Last one I tried had flavors of cooked raisin or plum with sour cherry and oak. Alcohol was still very prevalent.

I tasted this one for the first time since racking. It's further along and more refined that the Amarone I started last month. Similar flavor profile. I think this is going to be outstanding eventually. Got a sour cherry taste, hard to discern much else at this point.

I need another carboy.

I too noticed that sour / tart note before the barrel, post barrel, not there at all.

Do you think that is due to the barrel aging or just aging in general?

Craig, I'd have to say that I attribute changes more to the barrel aging process, for at least two reasons. First being that aging in carboys or bottles doesn't micro oxygenate wine like a barrel does, secondly, they do not have the effect of wine concentration through evaporation.
Having tried many forms of oaking, for my taste, the barrel is tops there too. My humble opinion.

We're coming up on 3 months in the carboy. I haven't really done much tasting. Mostly, just ogled it every time I was in the work space. Racking in 2 weeks or so off of the oak cubes and chips; and dosing with KMeta. From the few tastes I did have, my guess is I'll only get a little co2 (if any, really).

Another 3 months in a carboy before I even think of bottling.

I pitched this kit with BM 4x4 on 8/8/15. I don't have any splits, but if anyone is interested, I'd love to ship one of mine for one of yours with RC or E-118. I could cap a beer bottle's worth (350 ml), and ship it off.

Interested to see the difference between yeasts at 7 months?

PM me and maybe we can swap some "olive oil"

I pitched this kit with BM 4x4 on 8/8/15. I don't have any splits, but if anyone is interested, I'd love to ship one of mine for one of yours with RC or E-118. I could cap a beer bottle's worth (350 ml), and ship it off.

Pitched 212 on mine 7/28/15. I'll be happy to swap 750's with you when I bottle at the end of July. I'm committed to not bottling reds for a year. It's been out of the barrel and back in glass for a few weeks, I'm hoping to get it in again for a while before bottling if/when the oak falls back a bit.

I've got eight 375's left out of eleven. Used RC-212 and pitched 7-24-15. So is "olive oil" via UPS the best option in PA? Used to enter beer competitions using "laboratory yeast samples" back in the mid 90's.

I've got eight 375's left out of eleven. Used RC-212 and pitched 7-24-15. So is "olive oil" via UPS the best option in PA? Used to enter beer competitions using "laboratory yeast samples" back in the mid 90's.

I use 'marinade'.

I get wine shipped from CA (California for our Friends up north) to my house in the Peoples Republic of Pennsylvania all the time. It reads "alcohol - must be signed for by 21+" all the time. You must find a courageous winery. My UPS guy knows and works with me.

I'll just ship to you as olive oil....

Let me know! Glad to share. I am sanitary!

Oh, and mine is still bulk aging as well. I will just be glad to rack off a beer bottles worth and ship it off to you or a sample of your RC or other

I get wine shipped from CA (California for our Friends up north) to my house in the Peoples Republic of Pennsylvania all the time. It reads "alcohol - must be signed for by 21+" all the time. You must find a courageous winery. My UPS guy knows and works with me.

I'll just ship to you as olive oil....

Let me know! Glad to share. I am sanitary!

I thought wine shipments in the PRP had to go through the State Store system first so they could extract their "pound of flesh" taxes.

PM me your address and I would be happy to send you a 375 of olive oil or marinate, your choice. You are within the one day zone for UPS ground so it would get there by the weekend. I'll pull a bottle to take to work and ship from there. (That is if it is okay with @Johnd)

And John, this is a scientific experiment, so it isn't considered wine-o-cide.

Last edited:
Nice, CE - but you are right! Most CA wineries wont ship to me because of what you said. I could have Screaming Eagle shipped to me, but only to the STATE STORE, and then pay tax.

Back