Earthquake damage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitzy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, The first and last time I posted here was to try and figure out why my 2009 feijoa wine would not clear. It did in the end and I bottled it but the 2 gallons of 2010 feijoa wine got smashed in the 7.1 earthquake last weekend, along with a gallon of black-boy peach wine. Miraculously, the bottled wine mostly survived but 4 of the heavy demijohns got smashed. 2 demijohns just fell from the kitchen mantlepiece and survived but emptied out down to the last litre. The row of demijohns used to look really beautiful on that mantle shelf and someone once said "what about if there is an earthquake" and I replied that I just could not imagine one big enough to cause that sort of trouble. I'm having to re-think security of my equipment. regards, Mitzy

Very sorry about that loss and for the rest of the weekend Ill demand all wine flags here at 1/2 staff! :(

Mitzy sorry about the loss of the wine, but really who the hell cares. You're ok and thats what matters! Besides starting over you're already ahead of the game, your house already smells like a winery.

Mitzy sorry about the loss of the wine, but really who the hell cares. You're ok and thats what matters! Besides starting over you're already ahead of the game, your house already smells like a winery.

Hey! I had a bottle bust out of the bottom as I was bottling. As I pressed in the cork with my corker the normal whoosh was replaced with a splash.

Cleaning up 1 bottle that runs like WD-40 across the floor and under cabinets isn't nice to see, not to mention having to clean up 1 bottle.

Having to clean up may would be disheartening. However having your home smell like wine would be sweet to some.....until the fruit flies came. :tz

It's great to hear that you are okay. When the Earth shakes, things could have been much worse.
My wine flag is at half mast, as ordered and with tears in my eyes, I'll toast a glass to the loss of your wine.

Back