Dry Creek Overlook

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grapes aren't ready, but I did pick about 2 lbs of Cascade hops this morning. The past few years I cut all of the bines down to pick them, but today I just picked what was ready - mainly up at the top. The lower 1/2 to 2/3 are still covered in immature cones and the bines are still putting out new laterals covered in burrs. Fingers crossed, I might get a second harvest at the end of August into September.

Oh yeah... almost forgot

P7310029Small.jpg

Waldo and Tony. We need to get together. I live in Hot Springs. Trade a bottle over lunch.
501-622-9772

Well my 3 small clusters of grapes have been harvested. Unfortunately not by me. Checked last week and they were deep purplish red and starting to sweeten. Today I found grape stalks.
smiley19.gif

P8200031Small.jpg

Told ya you should have made deer sausage when you had the chance. Well better luck next season.....

Deer are only one of the pests, squirrels can eat an amazing amount of grapes, then there are the opposums and racoons. Netting is not effective for anything except birds. I have started trapping to get then thinned out.

Cut the Cascade vines last night and ended up with another half of a 2.5 gallon bucket full of hops. Pretty good year for them, considering the weather. Probably about 8-9 oz dried total for this year from the two clumps. The other varieties didn't do anything.

Latest posts

Back