2nd year vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Giorgio

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all
Total newbie to grape growing here. Planted last year. Let them run wild to establish roots. Watched some YouTube videos about how to cut back. I cut them back very substantially in spring. They are currently running wild again. I have more grapes this year which is a plus. So here’s the question…. Even though it’s July should I of can I cut back any vine without fruit to try to establish something that might resemble a T like trellis system. I am currently just tying them up on a 3 ft trellis the best I can. I have a few long ones so I may put another. Able a few feet higher. Any tips on what to do even if it’s for next year is a plus. Thanks Anthony

You can trim vines during the growing season. This trimming can be hedging (cutting back the canopy), shoot thinning (thinning the canopy by taking out selected shoots) or suckering (cutting off suckers on the trunk or suckers off the shoots). You should cut back to keep off the ground and shape the trunks.
I’d suggest you not trim too severely but start shaping the vines.

Latest posts

Back