Dried figs instead of rasins????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

911no

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading up on some white wines I want to make and a few ask for golden rasins. Well most of the golden rasins that are sold around my part of the world are preserved with a sulfur of some kind, so I don't want to use that. I however do have an abundance of figs. I can dry them and use that way or use fresh eitherway I can do. I know using figs will give a brown-ish color to the wine I'm making but I'm ok with that :) Any info in this are would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi 911no,

I see you're in Texas. Try looking at the Sun-Maid brand raisins which are just raisins, no added sulphites or chemicals. I use them for all my wines that call for raisins, including my raisin wines which have turned out to be my best ones. If you have a Sam's Club membership, you can get them in a 4 lb. package.

Susan

You can always use bananas in place of golden raisins. I'm sure the figs would add plenty of body, but I wouldn't want to muck up my wine with that color and flavor unless I was making a fig wine.

Back