Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect! Love the label! Welcome to the DB family!

You got more going yet? It'll go quick! :dg

Thanks again for all your help. This forum has such great people and knowledge. I am definitely going to get another batch of DB going. It's so quick and easy.

jamesngalveston said:
my usb cable broke on my phone, and someone stole my camera, are i would post a pic..but it is very nice reddish/gold... i started a batch of peach blush from juice, and used another 10lbs of apple peelings for color on it. and it has about the same color. Wish i could get enough fresh apples to crush my own, but not in south texas.

Sounds a wonderful color! I'll be sure to take some pics if mine turns out similar!

Thanks so much for posting the recipe, Danger. I think going to start with your tried and true version of DB. But I may be tempted to add more blueberries.
I'm also thinking of something for a holiday version. Probably cranberry/orange/spice. What's the average wait time for best flavor?

I have made the original and a black and Blue version. I like them both after a little time in the bottle. Getting ready to make another batch myself. Try it at Christmas and see. My last batch was great right out of the carboy I topped it off with a mango quick drinker that Im not happy with but is great for this!!!

Well, here are the final projects for my 1st tropical DB variation and original SP.

I checked the TA on the tropical after fermentation and it was pretty low, .36. I raised it to .60 and it helped the wine out a lot. It was flat and I guess what would be called flabby. Has some zing to it now. Balanced out the sweetness at 1.018.

My wife initially tried before adjusting acid and said she didn't like it at all. After adjustments and balancing the sweetness she said it was really good.

image.jpg

The tropical I started on 9/27 and first cleared with Sparkalloid on 10/3. It took out a lot of sediment but the wine stayed hazy. I added 3 tsp of Pectin Enzyme after about 1 1/2 wks of being hazy and no indication of clearing. (compared to how fast the DB and SP cleared.) That helped a little. I finally added Super-Kleer on 10/18. It cleared within 24hrs.

The SP was started on 10/3 and I added the S-K on 10/18 the same time I added it to the tropical. It was crystal clear within 24 hrs also.

I think I may be sticking with the Super-Kleer as my fining agent from here on out. I waited 1 hr between the 2 parts like the instructions say and it worked amazingly well.

nice looking wine you have hawk..it always amazes me when the color comes through, batch to batch
super kleer is a great clearing agent.
I have a batch of tropical going , and waiting on shipment of super kleer.
Hope mine has that same color...

Thanks Lori and James.

The tropical had me worried for a few days.

I altered the DB recipe by using 64oz pineapple juice and 16oz lime juice instead of the lemon. I used 6lbs of the pineapple, mango, strawberry mix for the fruit. I also added 3 1/2lbs of bananas as I heard this helps with adding a little body. At my wife's request I also added 2oz of Peach flavoring after ferm and stabilization.

I hadn't purchased an acid test kit until after I was about done with primary ferm. When I stabilized and back sweetened I was pretty disappointed. Real flat and just not what I had pictured. After testing I realized why with the low TA. When I added acid it had that stinging of the lips zing. So I started to worry I added too much even though that's what the calculations told me to add and a second test told me it was at the lower end of what I thought was normal (.60) it sat a night and the next day I tried it again. The acid zing had settled a bit. I had also read that evening about back sweetening to balance the acid. When I hit 1.018 on SG it finally seemed like what I was expecting. That was a big weight off my shoulders. My wife who initially said she didn't like it and "wouldn't drink that" said "Now that is actually some pretty good wine." Score one for the home team!!!

It's nice because you can't really zero in on any one fruit and say it stands out. It's a really nice blend of all of them. Final ABV 11%

I'm not sure if it was the banana, the vitamin B complex or the spring water. Maybe all three. Whichever, the must seems very happy without the yeast energizer. SG after 48 hrs, 1.047, temp 67.5º.
There is no taste of either the vitamin B or the banana.
The B-complex is from Swanson Vitamins online and has no taste or smell even if you let it dissolve in your mouth. Thats why I didn't hesitate to use it. They are a great source for vitamins, natural juice concentrates and organic spices. (no, I am not affiliated :i )

TB_10-21-13b.jpg

Last edited:
Hawk, those look marvelous! :b

Lori: Glad you got it going. Nice cap you've got there!

Now I wish I'd added Bentonite, but I'm on day 4 and SG 1.015.
Does anyone know the ingredient in Sparkalloid, as we don't get that here that I know of.
I have lots of the sachets left out of Wine Expert kit wines (because I'm a patient person) and let them clear themselves over time.
I've got the ones from reds and whites rocking around; suitable at all do you know? I've never really used them lol.
This DB I would like an early drinker tho so I'm thinking I might try one of them ::

Last edited:
Found quote on the net: Super Kleer is able to clear the beer or wine in 12 - 48 hours. It is made up of 50ml Chitosan and 15ml Kieselsol.
I have finings with those ingredients; so will use what I have with different branding lol. Cool, thanks James!

Dragon Blood has gone international! :br Sweet!

Good luck, iVivid! The Super Kleer (alternative) should work great!

Ok, I finally got in sorbital and superkleer in.
I will probably re-rack tomorrow and add both, then wait a week and backsweeten.
Looks like I'll be drinking this in about two weeks, just in time for Thanksgiving.

add your super kleer first, then 3 days later add your sorbate, then 3 days later add your simple syrup, are what ever you will use to backsweeten.
you really should add your sorbate when your wine is clear...clear wine equals less yeast....

guys hold your camera phone the other way when it posts sideways lol Looks good everyone. Nothing like the color of Dragons Blood.

Latest posts

Back