Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Discussion in 'Skeeter Pee' started by dangerdave, Jun 15, 2012.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 26, 2013 #841

saramc

saramc

saramc

FeRmEnTaTiOn FaNaTiC

Thanks for the redirect to the most recent version. Want to confirm, no heating of the sugar-water-lemon like you do with Skeeter Pee?? When I have made this I just assumed I should be inverting like you do with Skeeter Pee. Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 26, 2013 #842

jamesngalveston

jamesngalveston

jamesngalveston

Banned

saramc..it is good to see you back...hope everything is ok .
    no heating of the sugar water lemon, with this.....I know this is not what you would usually make, but if you tried it once, i think you will find it a very
    nice refreshing wine for the summer....when its hot there in kentucky.

3. Dec 27, 2013 #843

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

Take this for what it is worth. I always invert the sugar. Doesn't matter to me if it is Dragons Blood, Skeeter Pee, or any fruit wines. My feeling is that inverting the sugar makes it easier for the yeast.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Julie likes this.
  4. Dec 27, 2013 #844

saramc

saramc

saramc

FeRmEnTaTiOn FaNaTiC

Thanks James. I made this way back when Dave started this, even an early thread participant. Had already been making raspberry Skeeter Pee as fast as carboy space would allow. Even with my version & the 15-day DB version, I followed the principles of the Skeeter Pee recipe so the liquid base was inverted and yeast were less stressed. I think the DB notes even said something like 'make like Skeeter Pee'. BUT, it is good to know heat/inversion is not required though I think this would be an ideal clarified entry for this newest version..only because so very many are familiar with the inversion process that Skeeter Pee uses.
    -- I did notice the new version uses 1-48oz lemon vs more lemon juice in the original & a few other modifications. Any chance the link to most recent version could be added to Dave's post where the original recipe is currently found? A historical recipe page of sorts. Sure would simplify things, even Facebook page has a different recipe listed.

Anyway, my mission is complete and I just finished a phone consult as I walked a friend 50+ miles away thru their first batch, and their second non-kit wine to date. Going to be great!!

5. Dec 27, 2013 #845

jamesngalveston

jamesngalveston

jamesngalveston

Banned

Well as stated earlier, it is good to see you posting again...
    i for one miss your advise on fermentations....
    there is a sticky for db....

6. Dec 27, 2013 #846

saramc

saramc

saramc

FeRmEnTaTiOn FaNaTiC

Good to know about the sticky, I will go check that out! Having not yet looked, will we find just the most recent DB recipe or a historical recipe evolution?
    Hopefully 2014 will be a bit more normal in terms of my winemaking, that is my goal anyway. So you should see me back to my normal activity level here. Woo hoo!! Missed everyone.

7. Dec 27, 2013 #847

Pumpkinman

Pumpkinman

Pumpkinman

Saramc!
    Good to see you back, I'm still using the extract method that you shared with me and nuts.com. Thanks again for your help, I hope to see you posting again!
    Tom

8. Nov 14, 2014 #848

maurtis

maurtis

maurtis

There is another thread on the forums about using dried malt extract (DME) in wines. Has anyone tried adding DME to a batch of DB? If you are using light or extra light DME it should not impart that much flavor and add body.

Of course, if bananas do the same thing they are definitely cheaper.

9. Nov 15, 2014 #849

dangerdave

dangerdave

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher

10. Dec 6, 2018 at 5:49 AM #850

Allie Geiger

Allie Geiger

Allie Geiger

Junior

Trying out this recipe! I'm on the first-day steps, but I have to wait until tomorrow to get my yeast energizer. Should I try throwing some bentonite in there too? At the same time as my yeast?