Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Dragon Batman! Mine is at 1.004 already after only 72 hours!
Question is should I rack it tomorrow? I'm sure it will be down to 1.00 tomorrow morning and I have to leave for the weekend. Or, just let her keep simmering away.

let it go dry..so leave for the weekend, have fun, and when you get back...
have a glass.....

That was my thought. I'll leave it.
It's so lively right now, I'd hate to ruin the little yeasties party. They're having so much fun in there.

Last edited:
add your super kleer first, then 3 days later add your sorbate, then 3 days later add your simple syrup, are what ever you will use to backsweeten.
you really should add your sorbate when your wine is clear...clear wine equals less yeast....

Ok then, that is exactly what I will do.

iVivid said:
Does anyone know the ingredient in Sparkalloid, as we don't get that here that I know of.

Sparkolloid Fining Agent
Sparkolloid is a fining agent developed by Scott Laboratories for clarification. It is a blend of polysaccharides in a diatomaceous earth carrier and has a strong positive charge. For some, it is the product of choice for clarifying white and blush wines. Sparkolloid is one of the more benign fining materials, and when used in reasonable quantities, it seldom strips wine flavors or aromas. It neutralizes the repelling charge of particulate matter allowing aggregation and formation of compact lees. It does not remove desirable color constituents. It is not a cold stabilizing, heat stabilizing or odor removing agent. 1 tsp. per gallon clarifies naturally by removing protein haze.

Sparkolloid Fining Agent
Sparkolloid is a fining agent developed by Scott Laboratories for clarification. It is a blend of polysaccharides in a diatomaceous earth carrier and has a strong positive charge. For some, it is the product of choice for clarifying white and blush wines. Sparkolloid is one of the more benign fining materials, and when used in reasonable quantities, it seldom strips wine flavors or aromas. It neutralizes the repelling charge of particulate matter allowing aggregation and formation of compact lees. It does not remove desirable color constituents. It is not a cold stabilizing, heat stabilizing or odor removing agent. 1 tsp. per gallon clarifies naturally by removing protein haze.

and... it's really fun to watch

I used sparkalloid as I already had it on hand, it didn't change the flavour of my DB at all and took less than a week and only 1 racking at time of application to clear. I am really interested in trying the super Kleer after reading everyone's positive feedback on it but only for the speed side of it. I posted this in the labels thread but thought i would share! My elderberry blush has been in the carboy for 4 weeks and it's still not clear after 1st racking. image-1429182672.jpg image-4262110717.jpg Thanks DangerDave and everyone on this wonderful forum for this YUMMY recipe and all the wonderful discussion on this and the other skeeter pee recipes! My life has been transformed!! Lol This will NOT be good for my diet but what the heck! :)

Last edited:
Those a beautiful. I am excited to see what this turns out like. Might be my new breakfast juice. :D

LoneStarLori said:
Those a beautiful. I am excited to see what this turns out like. Might be my new breakfast juice. :D

Haha! Lori! Ditto here! Spiked breakfast fruit smoothie! ;-)

Breakfast juice?! Now, you're in trouble!

You are very welcome ckvchestnut! Transforming lives is what I do! :h

Well, no, not really...

dangerdave said:
Breakfast juice?! Now, you're in trouble! You are very welcome ckvchestnut! Transforming lives is what I do! :h Well, no, not really...
Haha! Ummmm maybe!! Last night as sharing a bottle with hubby a question popped up in my head..... "Was Danger Dave your nickname before you created this drink?? Or afterwards??" Cuz it's DANGER-OUS! We had the will power to stop at just the one bottle but boy is it fruity and smooth! It's growing on me quickly!

Oh ya and even one of my daughters who hates wine took a forced sip of it and I watched as her eyebrows raised and after she swallowed she said that's pretty good! Oh oh, now I AM in trouble as she's only 17! Lol

Last edited:
I have had many a non wine drinker try it, then ask for a bottle to take home.......I love it.....

Ya it's awesome! I feel giddy that I found such great recipe that I can vary so much. I read on another thread I think it was James? Who uses white grape peach concentrate instead of the fruit and apart from the tropical variation that I want to try, this looks awesome too! Or maybe it was this thread not sure but I have taken down many notes and will be having fun with this recipe for a long time I'm sure!

"Was Danger Dave your nickname before you created this drink?? Or afterwards??"

The nickname, "Danger" was given to me by a good friend back when I used to be an avid whitewater kayaker (in my 20's and 30's). I don't kayak much anymore, but the name stuck---as such things do---and it makes me pine for my younger days.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Wine is all about enjoyment. :b

dangerdave said:
The nickname, "Danger" was given to me by a good friend back when I used to be an avid whitewater kayaker (in my 20's and 30's). I don't kayak much anymore, but the name stuck---as such things do---and it makes me pine for my younger days. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Wine is all about enjoyment. :b
That's a great story! Ya I think a lot of us pine for something from our younger days! I also used to avidly enjoy downhill skiing but the last time I took my husband my knees could barely hack it! They were in pain on the chair lift! At least I still have my horses and it's a bit easier on the knees :)

Last edited:
jamesngalveston said:
ckvchestnut send yu the whitegrape peach recipe.

Awesome awesome awesome James I really appreciate your time to send that to me! I pm'd you a big thanks! I'll be posting my experience with that one no doubt! Carolyn

I stopped snowboarding when i was in my 40s, when I turned 55 i was determined to do it again...It did not turn out well.
Then I decided to surf...That did not turn out well either.
Then I tried to water ski again...
Now I make wine..sit on my porch swing with company, have dinner and go to bed...
lol

jamesngalveston said:
I stopped snowboarding when i was in my 40s, when I turned 55 i was determined to do it again...It did not turn out well. Then I decided to surf...That did not turn out well either. Then I tried to water ski again... Now I make wine..sit on my porch swing with company, have dinner and go to bed... lol

Haha! Sounds just like us! I bet I couldn't even get up out of the water again for water skiing! My girls snowboard and I said I would never try it - ever! I value my previously broken tailbone too much lol

Back