Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
btw...i buy by the case: and this is how i use it...after using about 40 of the super kleer packets, I think there instructions are wrong and have repeately send them email on this...they have yet to answer.
Liqour Qwik is just a site selling there wares..If the directions are wrong, they will offer to sell you more.
This is how I use it...Just saying.
I add the first packet and stir gently.
About 10 minutes later I add the second Packet mixed with about 1 ounce of water. and stir the hell out of it.
then wait till it is clear.
not advising, just saying what i do.
might work for me, might not for u.

James has me convinced---a while back, actually---to make the change to Super Kleer when my Sparkolloid is all gone. To convince myself, I'm getting some SK to test next to my Sparkolloid.

Ok interesting! It's definitely on my next supplies list! Thanks everyone :) I do find that I really tried my best to keep as much of the lees out of that first racking as possible I left about an inch of juice in top of the lees and then poured that into a small juice jug so I could draw any extra juice of with a turkey baster. But now I seem to have a good inch or 1.5" of hat looks like much finer lees is that due to the sparkalloid? I sure like the idea of clearing faster when I'm short on time!

Wow! Looks beautiful! Did you filter or just rack?

No, I used sparkalloid and just let everything settle out. It worked pretty quick in the DB. I used it in my tropical version 2 days after I added it to the DB and it is still very cloudy. I have been considering hitting it with some Pectin Enzyme. Might give it a few more days to see what shakes out.

Thanks for the compliments. It's nice to have a good turnout when you are just starting. But, it's also nice to have a sure-fire recipe to use..thanks Dave.:b

hawk022499 said:
No, I used sparkalloid and just let everything settle out. It worked pretty quick in the DB. I used it in my tropical version 2 days after I added it to the DB and it is still very cloudy. I have been considering hitting it with some Pectin Enzyme. Might give it a few more days to see what shakes out. Thanks for the compliments. It's nice to have a good turnout when you are just starting. But, it's also nice to have a sure-fire recipe to use..thanks Dave.:b

Let us know how long it takes on your tropical version! I intend to make that one as well. Did you crack that bottle open yet to try it? It seems a shame to open the bottles right after they have been bottled but I guess that's the eventual purpose of making wine! I'm going to have to hide bottles of my DB from my husband, and make another batch right away.

excellent hawk. hide them away, the will disappear before you know it.
best thing to do....start another batch , immediately
did i say make more,,,,,make lots more.

Lol, point taken. I have to work tomorrow so I will probably get to that on Friday. I do have that tropical variation clearing and a SP in primary as we speak.

I know this is off topic but I did start a Mosto Bello Valpolicella frozen juice bucket today also.

Well, here is my unlabeled product. From pitched to bottled in only 20 days. I let it sit a few extra days after back sweetening. This is fantastic! Just amazed how quickly it cleared. Thank you to all who helped us in any way! ;) cheers

IMG_20131009_215410.jpg

IMG_20131009_215642.jpg

IMG_20131009_215352.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great ruckus! Well this morning looking through the carboy I can just see the other side of the glass carboy while looking through and with natural backlighting maybe I'll be good to go on the 7th day but if not I'll give it time!

Well, here is my unlabeled product. From pitched to bottled in only 20 days. I let it sit a few extra days after back sweetening. This is fantastic! Just amazed how quickly it cleared. Thank you to all who helped us in any way! ;) cheers

Good job Rucus. It's a great feeling to have that nice of a wine sitting in front of you in such a short period, isn't it?!

nice job ruckus....now imagine, you can substitute any fruit you like for the berries, the possibilities are endless....
I just made an apple blush, that is excellent.....

jamesngalveston said:
nice job ruckus....now imagine, you can substitute any fruit you like for the berries, the possibilities are endless.... I just made an apple blush, that is excellent.....

Yum!! Did you blend the apples with another type of fruit to get the blush colour? The colour of our cider juice is a pinkish rusty colour because one of our varieties of crabapples are very red like mini red delicious apples. I wonder what colour it will end up?

I bought welches apple juice concentrate and used 4 cans per gallon.
I had apples given to me from wisconsin..I used the apple juce, and 10 lbs of apples I used the peeling from to color...
I soaked the peelings in pectin enzyme for 2 days, and add to the bucket for primary ferment.
The red peelings made a nice color.

jamesngalveston said:
I bought welches apple juice concentrate and used 4 cans per gallon. I had apples given to me from wisconsin..I used the apple juce, and 10 lbs of apples I used the peeling from to color... I soaked the peelings in pectin enzyme for 2 days, and add to the bucket for primary ferment. The red peelings made a nice color.

Ah that's interesting as apart from the concentrate that's exactly eat we did! Except we crushed the apples and pressed them in straining bags and then we put the juice and apples pulp, peelings (in their straining bags) into the pails with pectic enzyme for 2 days prior to pitching yeast. We didn't so this the last time we made cider we only used the juice from our apples and the colour came out pretty much a pale yellow like white wine. Hmmm so maybe we might come out with a tad more colour this year. Shall see!

my usb cable broke on my phone, and someone stole my camera, are i would post a pic..but it is very nice reddish/gold...
i started a batch of peach blush from juice, and used another 10lbs of apple peelings for color on it. and it has about the same color.
Wish i could get enough fresh apples to crush my own, but not in south texas.

Today was a big wine making day! I got started on 18 gallons of DB in my big fermenter, 6 gallons of Jet Blue (blueberry DB), 6 gallons of Washingtom Muscato (for my woman!), and three gallons of orange chocolate port for next Fall.

It's a great feeling! :br

Perfect! Love the label! Welcome to the DB family!

You got more going yet? It'll go quick! :dg

Latest posts

Back