Don't cork screwcaps : Photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am re-using screw tops. (hides under a chair and waits for Julie to reply to tell me that I shouldn't re-use the screw tops.)

You should hide, seriously! Sorry but you are just screaming for your wine to go bad. Re-using screw tops does not give you a good seal, actually I doubt that it seals much at all.

You should hide, seriously! Sorry but you are just screaming for your wine to go bad. Re-using screw tops does not give you a good seal, actually I doubt that it seals much at all.

I knew there was a catch to the question. So what do you suggest?

use bottles that you can put corks in, this is your economic way or buy new screw top lids, not sure how they are installed though.

Your wine is oxidizing.

use bottles that you can put corks in, this is your economic way or buy new screw top lids, not sure how they are installed though.

Your wine is oxidizing.

I really hate the corks but I guess I"ll have to use them. :'(

julie gave you good advise...here is some more.

INVEST IN A FLOOR CORKER.....PERIOD

Those little red handheld corkers...dont waste your money.
I am 6-2 weigh about 220...Its hard for me to cork with the handheld..
after about 10 bottles you just want to throw it away..

jamesngalveston said:

Not me. I likes my duck tape 'n a hammer method with my hand corker.

But I'm gonna have to buy something better because I'm about to start doing beer in screw cap bottles. So a floor corker is in the works.

I saw this on Craigslist in my area.

Is this ok?

The description is below.

Wine opener, uncorks and recorks bottles without damaging the cork in the process. only $25

WIne Opener.jpg

And I have the red little handheld corkers as well.

That is a bottle OPENER. It will not put the cork back in................

Just pulls it out nice and easy.

I"m glad that you said that. That's why I posted the description to get a 2nd opinion. They are misleading people when they say that it will "re-cork" bottles.

It will remove the cork from the plunger, but when it does the cork has a cork screw hole in it. You'd never want to cork a new bottle of wine with a cork that has a hole in it.

You need a floor corker for sure. They are great and easy to use.

I"m glad that you said that. That's why I posted the description to get a 2nd opinion. They are misleading people when they say that it will "re-cork" bottles.

It is not misleading, it will "re-cork" Don't confuse re-cork with cork. The purpose is to put the used cork back into a bottle of wine that has not been finished so you can keep the wine for a few days.

Ok so you can RE-CORK opened bottles but you want a CORKER to cork bottles that will be sitting around for a while. Correct?

These are what you should be looking for (links from a forum sponsor):

Portuguese floor corker
6432-228x228.jpg

Italian floor corker
itilan%20floor%20corker-228x228.jpg

I have the Italian one and love it. Corking is a breeze.

And I have the red little handheld corkers as well.

Same here and I cork all my bottles this way with #9's. No problem. Someday I will invest in a floor corker but not until I am bottling quite a few at a time.

Same here and I cork all my bottles this way with #9's. No problem. Someday I will invest in a floor corker but not until I am bottling quite a few at a time.

If you don't make very much wine very often, the hand corker will do. Once you do invest in a floor corker, it will last many many years.

I believe one of a home wine maker's first investments should be a floor corker. A vacuum pump is also right up there. A good free SO2 test setup is really good to have; the longer you make wine, the more not having one will haunt you.

If you are making something besides kit wines, a pH meter is very important.

But a person has to make do with what a person has.

If you don't make very much wine very often, the hand corker will do. Once you do invest in a floor corker, it will last many many years.

I make a fair amount but for now, usually only in 2 gal. batches, so I am never bottling more than 10 - 20 at a time.
I agree that when I start in making 5-6 gal. batches, I will definitely get a floor corker.
I don't mind the hand corker much as it is just like another night at the gym. :)

I make a fair amount but for now, usually only in 2 gal. batches, so I am never bottling more than 10 - 20 at a time.
I agree that when I start in making 5-6 gal. batches, I will definitely get a floor corker.
I don't mind the hand corker much as it is just like another night at the gym. :)

Ha! Yep, it can give you a workout for sure. I used one on my first 2 batches. Problem (for me) was getting the cork seated at the same depth consistently. I also was always afraid I would knock the bottle over while inserting the cork; never happened, though.

Back