dont be scared..show your age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember running behind the Mosquito spray truck... Got my dose of DDT! 55 years old for me!

Born in the 70s, raised in the 80s.

A-Team, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard!

Oh yeah, Baywatch was a great show for a teenage boy!

Billions and billions of years. :) minus 57.

Did anyone mention the "Tasmanian Devil"..... Bugs Bunny.

Run........ Run.......... Run for your lives. :)

Last edited:
43 years old. I grew up watching Sesame Street, and still watch it occasionally to brush up on my alphabet.

Forgot about that, when in the Navy in Puerto Rico, about the only thing on the TV in english was Sesame Street. The whole crew gathered around the television watching the kids show. but in our defense it was in english. I don't believe anybody has mentioned McHales Navy or Mash. Some of my favorite shows. Arne.

Rocky

I am 69 years old. We got our first tv when I was about 8. Before that, I do not remember ever listening to the radio at night. I suppose my family did it but I sure don't remember. I lived with my grandparents a lot then and my Grandfather was a farmer so he went to bed very early. My grandmother stayed up a while but to my knowledge never listened to the radio for those shows you mentioned.

I do remember those tv shows that were formerly radio shows. Loved them all. Did you mention Arthur Godfrey?

I'll turn 61 years young next month. I miss going to bed without having to lock the front door. Fond memories of the milkman delivering unhomogenized milk in glass bottles and the bread man delivering fresh bread to the doorstep. The world seemed simpler and sweeter. While the former may be true, the latter is just seeing the world through the eyes of the child.

dang...i remember the milk man also...and I think life was simpler/better.
not being a jerk, but think about this...
there was only a few obese kids in school, now look at the schools..3 out of 5 are.
we did not sit in front of the tv four hours, are computer, are x box, etc.
we played outside......exercised.

dang...i remember the milk man also...and I think life was simpler/better.
not being a jerk, but think about this...
there was only a few obese kids in school, now look at the schools..3 out of 5 are.
we did not sit in front of the tv four hours, are computer, are x box, etc.
we played outside......exercised.

I think we all agree that old times were better and we miss them, but also we love and take advantage of advances than science and technology brought us over time, I wish there was a way to just take the best of both worlds...

Rocky

I am 69 years old. We got our first tv when I was about 8. Before that, I do not remember ever listening to the radio at night. I suppose my family did it but I sure don't remember. I lived with my grandparents a lot then and my Grandfather was a farmer so he went to bed very early. My grandmother stayed up a while but to my knowledge never listened to the radio for those shows you mentioned.

I do remember those tv shows that were formerly radio shows. Loved them all. Did you mention Arthur Godfrey?

Yes I do remember Arthur "Buy Them by the Carton" Godfrey and his show sponsored by Chesterfield cigarettes. I also remember the night he fired Julius La Rosa on the air just after La Rosa had finished a song.

A couple of funny incidents from my "radio days"...

During the Korean War, we used to pray for peace by reciting the Rosary every weekday night at 7:00 PM. We would kneel on our living room floor in front of the radio (a large console with record player) to do this. In the Summer the front door was open and I remember our childhood friends staring through the screen door at us and at this "strange" ritual. We were one of only two Catholic families on our street.

There was a morning radio show for kids and one of the things the host would do was to use his "magic telescope" to look at the radio audience to see if we had combed our hair, bushed our teeth, washed our hands, etc. We would sit in front of the radio and hold out our hands, show our teeth and our neatly combed hair. Daily, he would say something like, "Billy, you did not do a good enough job and you should go back and wash your hands again," or "Tommy, you need to comb your hair better." My brothers and I had "uncommon" first names and we were smug that we were never called out and we used to ponder whether he meant Billy or Tommy So-and-so who lived in the neighborhood.

Again, during the Korean War, we were listening to a news broadcast and the announcer said the US troops were "mangled" by the enemy. Well, my Mother had a mangle that she used for ironing our clothes and in my young mind I imagined our troops being run through a mangle.

I'm 38, a child of the late 70s and 80s.

I'm biracial. My mother and stepfather lived on a farm and my biological father/stepmother/grandmother lived in the city.
I remember butchering our own pigs and chickens, and mixing/stuffing sausage.

We were rarely allowed to watch television at either house, but on the rare occasion we did it was either The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday night, or The Cosby Show on Thursdays. Other than Saturday morning cartoons, that's all I really ever remember watching.
Also, we were not allowed to even be in the room when the grandparents were watching "The Stories" (soap operas) because they were too scandalous and racy for young children.
Also, my parents watched Dynasty and Knot's Landing, again, we were sent out of the room.
The television in question was this huge solid rectangle with carved wood on the sides. It sat next to a huge stereo console with a turntable on the top and record storage on the bottom.

Our parents refused to buy us an Atari and my sister and I were heartbroken. They caved and bought us a Nintendo system in the late 80s/early 90s and we played that thing into the ground.

My first record was Michael Jackson's Thriller.

I was going to grow up and either marry Bon Jovi or Ralph Macchio

I was in 6th grade the first time I ever saw a computer. We used it to play Oregon Trail.
I really didn't get the significance. I thought it was just another cool gadget like Atari. I didn't touch another one until I was almost done with high school.
I still didn't really understand what they would be good for...
Now...between Manthing and I, we own 3 laptops and 3 PCs that we use regularly. How far we have come...

I remember following the ice cream truck when we lived in town....until the Atlanta Child Murders. That was the first time I ever really remember hearing anything about stranger danger.
Up until that point, you could play in the neighborhood all you wanted as long as your butt was on the front porch or inside the house by the time the first streetlight came on. (and lord help you if you weren't...)

eta:
I was in the 5th grade when the Challenger exploded. All of the teachers were upset and crying. I didn't understand why they were so sad since they didn't know anyone involved. After 9-11, I remembered my puzzlement and finally understood.

The Dark Crystal movie scared the crap out of me.

I also remember watching a gameshow, but all I can remember is "Big Money" and "No Whammy!"

I remember having book fairs at school

I remember having to use a pencil to wind loose cassette tapes.

Since I lived primarily on the farm, we didn't really get into the whole bike riding thing. Manthing grew up in the city and he went all over town on his bike.

My sister and I went rollerskating. I remember learning how to skate backwards and thought I was hot stuff. I can't even remember the last time I saw a rollerrink now.

Last edited:
Lol, sour_grapes, that is he indeed. Was hesitant to reply in case he jumped
out of the screen and attacked me. :)

I was in 6th grade the first time I ever saw a computer.
********************The first time I saw a computer it was programmed with punch cards.

bell1.gif

55 … and I remember when this girl was HAWT!!!

Listen…

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsxavPANO8s[/ame]

64 .... I grew up in a small country village, we had no TV and I recall some radio but not a lot; I do remember the Shadow and Chicken Man on radio. Standard outhouse with last years' Sears and Eatons catalogues, no indoor plumbing and a spring on the hill. Sat. night was baked beans and then later bath time, taking turns in the round galvanized tub, hot water from the tank on the side of the stove. We were all squeaky clean for church Sun. morning, followed by lunch at Grammie and Grampies. When not in the little village school house, we would spend our time playing ball in the local field, hockey in the pond, swimming in the river and biking around getting into mischief. There was also .. fishing, rabbit snares, trapping muskrats, raiding apple orchards and gardens, cutting and splitting firewood, banking the house with sawdust for winter, hunting squirrels and racoons, snowball fights, on the double runners going down the icy hills at the speed of light, apple fights, chestnut fights (those were not always fun!), sliding down spruce/fir trees, tapping trees for maple sap, making bows and arrows and sling shots, maybe some new clothes for start of school, Dad giving me his small single shot 22 (I was 10), decorating the Christmas tree and wondering what we might get for a present (except for presents from an uncle in Ontario - always new pyjamas - sheesh!). No theaters around but we did have someone come maybe every 3-4 months and set up a projector at the hall and show us cartoons and that was a big hit with us.
So we didn't have much but we didn't feel poor and we had a lot of fun.

heres one i bet no one had.....
when a kid we lived in rural louisiana in a town of about 200....we lived out of town between cotton fileds and soy bean fields on dirt roads.
Every saturday the grocery bus would come down the highway about 2 miles from the house....it was a bus fitted with food,milk,butter, bread, etc and sweets.
my cousin and i would walk through the swamp during summer to get there before it did....all ready to spend our 10 cents on some sweets.

Back