dont be scared..show your age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
57. Too young to go to Woodstock but I certainly remember the day JFK was killed, and I remember seeing RFK campaigning for senator of NY on the bandstand in our small local park. Did anyone mention the Andy Griffith Show or **** Van Dyke?

I remember going out to play and organizing baseball, basketball, and football games without adult supervision. What a concept! And we used to dig a network of tunnels in big mounds of snow. We had lots of snow in upstate NY back then. Fun ended when mom blew the whistle. Time to go home where we were forced to eat overcooked carrots, or canned peas, or beets, and that really bad chipped beef on toast. Seemed like we had chipped beef at least once a week. Other than that, she was a great cook. Miss her much as well as my father who passed away a couple of weeks ago at 88. Love and miss them both.

updated: but now we live in the age where a person's name gets asterisked out. glad that my first name is not **** but writing "The Richard Van Dyke Show" is just wrong.

Last edited:
I am older than some of you, younger than most.

I am 39.
40 in 4 months.
I look 10 years younger than I actually am, but act 10 years older (sacrificed my childhood for a good cause).

I refuse to tell anyone in my office my age or my birthday, there for everyone in the office (average age is late 40s) treats me like I am 25 even though I have been there for 12 years!

I am 60 and look every bit of it...rode hard put away wet...bunch of times.
that dont sound good...ive had share of good times thats is true.
I feel 40 and act 20.....and refuse to date a woman over 40....
It has been a glorious 60 years and would not change any part of it.

me either...boat boy
once when guiding a duck hunt my shooter set off his 12 guage close enough to bristle my hair......i removed him form my hunters list...

Vacations were taking the bus to the beach. We had a family dinner every night and you weren't late or else. Big Sunday lunch and the whole family watched Lassie. Played with Matchbox cars. Pretended we were in the army and we all had toy guns. Stick ball in the street. Camping in the backyard, then sneaking out in the night to try a cigarette, or try smoking a pipe. Went to Catholic grade school and you better be at the 8:00 a.m. Mass and sit with your class. I could go on and on. Thanks James for reminding me of my childhood. Bakervinyard

Ray mentioned the party line on the telephone, my oh my we had some fun with that one.
53 years old here.
My dad always said "the older you get, the faster time goes".
Now that I am at that age, it really seems true.
Seems like years don't even matter anymore, seasons just change.

52. Watching Gentle Ben, Flipper, Daniel Boone The Flip Wilson Show, Laugh In, The Jackie Gleason Show. Dirt roads inside the city limits, chasing the mosquito spraying truck and playing in the fog. (So that's what's wrong with me?)

60 and I remember Fallout Shelters and duck and cover drills. But I cant remember what I had for lunch today.

Last edited:
47 this month, grew up in a very strict Sicilian family. I remember watching the Wonderful world of Disney (it is one of our favorite places now), playing with match boxes and baseball with all of the neighborhood kids on a makeshift baseball field in a backyard, riding our ten speeds past the "end if the road", that was the limit Mom put on us...lol...we would sneak away and ride all over town, If Mom or Dad called, you better high tail it home fast! Dinner every night together as a family, something that I still try to do with my kids.
Our town was and still is very small, maybe 1000 people including cats and dogs, everyone knew everyone else, parents all went to school together, very predominant Italian and Irish town in upstate NY, at one point there were approx. 120 Uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents living in or near that town, holidays were a blast!

47 this month, grew up in a very strict Sicilian family. I remember watching the Wonderful world of Disney (it is one of our favorite places now), playing with match boxes and baseball with all of the neighborhood kids on a makeshift baseball field in a backyard, riding our ten speeds past the "end if the road", that was the limit Mom put on us...lol...we would sneak away and ride all over town, If Mom or Dad called, you better high tail it home fast! Dinner every night together as a family, something that I still try to do with my kids.
Our town was and still is very small, maybe 1000 people including cats and dogs, everyone knew everyone else, parents all went to school together, very predominant Italian and Irish town in upstate NY, at one point there were approx. 120 Uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents living in or near that town, holidays were a blast!

So cool, sound like my home town, where everyone is related to everyone...

I am older than some of you, younger than most.

I am 39.
40 in 4 months.
I look 10 years younger than I actually am, but act 10 years older (sacrificed my childhood for a good cause).

I refuse to tell anyone in my office my age or my birthday, there for everyone in the office (average age is late 40s) treats me like I am 25 even though I have been there for 12 years!
that sounds like the opening paragraph of a good novel.

dang i forgot about chasing the mosquito spray trucks...

LOL mosquito spray trucks? I never seen one, in Mexico we used to chase the gas truck on Tuesdays, they were trucks delivering and exchanging propane gas tanks for homes, and everyone knew the truck was around because they played "La cucaracha" with their horns, a popular song, they are still around but not much since everybody uses natural gas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo6WvPrOxZQ

Back