dont be scared..show your age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who remembers pulling up to the gas pump on a cold, snowy or rainy day, waiting for the guy to come out and telling him you wanted $3 worth, then having him pump it, wash your windshield and check your oil and tires for you for free while you waited in the car? And it cost you no more for this service.

That's why we called em Service Stations:D

Wow what a thread! I'm 56 and really have spent the last 40 years trying to erase the memories of being raised in a religious cult. I have enjoyed reading about "normal" childhood memories!

One of my favorites and one of the very early TV series was "Captain Video and his Video Rangers" starring Al Hodge as Captain Video and Don Hastings as the chief Video Ranger. Special effects were very primitive at the time and I think the show was shot live. Even as a kid, I thought it was hokey. Some of the funny stuff I remember were:

The Blast Off (of take off, I guess). Captain Video would be holding the steering mechanism and simulating the vibration of taking off, shaking from head to toe. The Video Ranger, occasionally not paying close attention, would be looking in an opposite direction and not shaking at all. When Capt. Video noticed this, he would nudge the Video Ranger as if to say, "Shake, we are taking off," and the Ranger would then begin shaking.

They used to fly from planet to planet as we would go from house to house in our neighborhood. For example, they would be on Mars for some reason and have to "pop over" to Jupiter. The trip would take about 20 seconds.

The inhabitants of the planets wore distinctive dress. For example, on Mars they were all dress like Roman soldiers. On Jupiter, they dressed in Toga like the ancient Greeks.

Their spaceship, "The Galaxy," looked like a German ME 163 without the wings. When it was shown flying, the "fire" coming out the tail would go up like a candle and burning ashes would drop down, instead of back as thrust would produce. A few years later, Ford came out with the Galaxy model. I often wondered if there were a connection.

And, how about this for another quote: "Remember the Code of the Secret Squadron, Justice through strength and courage."

Unless I missed it, "I Won". Started my 76th trip around the sun last Sept. and "never had more, needed less or felt better"
Semper Fi

35, but probably a bit of an oddity growing up. Small town farm boy, B&W TV until I was 5 (I loved Lone Ranger and Rin Tin Tin), one-room country school through 6th grade. I was handing out milk there when Challenger blew up.

Biked everywhere...not sure I'd let my kids do that now even in the country, I run there and see too many cell phone distracted drivers swerving aroung.

Through 10th grade, you could bring in a shotgun to demonstrate cleaning for speech class and we always had them in the backseat so we could go pheasant hunting as soon as school was over. Now a questionably shaped pop tart gets you kicked out.

I went to great lengths to move into a small town where I hoped I could keep things as old school as possible for my kids, but now that they are getting into school I'm not sure I went far enough or that it is possible. It makes me sad.

But, like me, they still feel special when they get to pick out a candy bar when they go to the hardware store with daddy. Except instead of the local mom and pop hardware store the best I can do is Lowe's...

Latest posts

Back