dont be scared..show your age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do remember my father bringing home a bunch of grapes and my mother and grandmother smashing them with their feet. I guess it turned out ok.

I was raised on a farm myself but it turned into only a chicken farm (eggs only) when I was young. My grandfather sold eggs and vegetables at a farmers market then so I started going into Birmingham often.

Interesting story's we have here.

We also watched Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. They did NOT censor that show like they do with wildlife specials today.

Oh yea good one, Hey everyone watch Jim jump into that hole with the wild animal! 49 years here

Some more Arkansas memories:

We took the train from Pittsburgh to either Springfield, MO or Little Rock, AR. I remember on the train there was a woman with a child of about 2 or 3 years of age and she had a leather halter on him with a leash. I can still see this in my mind's eye. We really thought it was strange to have your kid on a leash like a dog.

Among our local playmates in Jasper was a large family that were part Native American. I only remember one child's name (Leon) but I really liked on of his sisters. They went around barefoot and we wanted to be like them. So, we "city slicker" took off our shoes and socks intending to emulate the locals. We got about 10 feet and decided it was not a good idea. I do remember one time when Leon cut his foot on a piece of glass that was on the dirt road and it bled profusely.

Anyone on the forum from Arkansas and know where Jasper is located? It is north central Arkansas on the Little Buffalo River. That river ran right behind our house and there was a suspension bridge across it about 100 yards west of our property. I would really like to travel back there and one of these days I will.

Last edited:
Did anyone mention mercury yet?

Play with it in (gasp) science class?

It's s miracle any of us are still alive.

Science class? Jeez, my dad used to bring it home by the bottle full, as it was used in his work. We used to pour it out on the furniture and "chase" balls and puddles of it around with our fingers.

Rocky, I went back to the rural place in Louisiana where i spend most of my childhood this summer....
The place was burned down, the only remainder was our hand pump outside
by a big oak tree...I took the pump, are stole, it, I had no idea who owned the property....Oh well...
The roads were still dirt, and I walked the fence row,where we use to muscadines...They were still there.

Did anyone mention mercury yet?

Play with it in (gasp) science class?

It's s miracle any of us are still alive.

Oh yeah. Played with mercury and also made lead batteries (without the benefit of gloves).

This was in the same day-and-age as "Jarts" (lawn darts). Talk about unsafe! It seemed that we had more common sense in those days. We knew enough to NOT use them to play catch!

anyone every play mummly pig with pocket knives, are chicken with a cigarette...lol...dang those were fun days.

56 and loving this thread. Has anyone mentioned Doctor's house calls? I remember my brother and I coming down with measles and the doctor coming to check on us. After a while of being cooped up in our grandmother's guest room a bunch of cousins started showing up. It turned into a slumber party where the kids that hadn't had the measles yet got the measles. Another favorite was the helms bakery truck with fresh donuts and breads in the mornings though it may have been a california thing.
Mike

forgot about that...our family doctor was Dr. Custard...he use to come when any of us were sick with cold are flu,chicken pox, are measels.
what a change...

anyone every play mummly pig with pocket knives, are chicken with a cigarette...lol...dang those were fun days.

Yup, we used to play mumbly peg with pocket knives. I don't know how you play chicken with a cigarette, though. We also used to set fire to or blow up anything we could. A "friend" once shot me in the head with a (thankfully) dull field-tipped arrow from 200 yards away playing "war." (I don't think either group thought we could possibly actually hit the other group from that distance.) And to think the biggest thing I was worried about afterwards was getting in trouble for it.

very simple...you put your arm next to your buddies and dropped a lit cigartte between them.....who ever pulled away first was a chicken.lol
how bout this flying kites with razor blades on the tails to get the other kites...
man...kites were 10 cents, and if we didnt break the sticks, we would make another out of newspaper and flour glue.

PF Fliers, My purple Spyder Bike equipped with banana seat, handle streamers, and cissy bar, Hang Ten Shirts, catching lightening bugs (fire flies) in mason jars while the grownups sat on the porch, Bellbottoms, Drive-in movies,taking trips in the family station wagon with the windows down, REAL Easter eggs. Dang, I could go on and on and on...

Wow I think I'm probobly the youngest of us all ahah :)

Well hello all I'm jack I'm 16 and I'm from the uk I don't really have a big interesting story yet ahah but I am very new to the world of wine brewing and only decided to start after seeing my friends brother brewing so I have recently started brewing and am just finishing my first successful gallon, it is a white wine made from cartons of pure white grape juice and I have now stabilised it and it's at 14.4% ABV and my next job is to clear it (by adding finnings).
And I would like to say this forum has been very helpful so thank you to all the members and it's nice to meet you :)

Thanks jack

well jack, just imagine bottling one of your wines now, and opening when you are old as dirt, (as us)....good luck with your wine, and any time ]
you get in trouble with it, come here for help....I think that between all
these good,smart,wine makers they can help..
and welcome.

Dark Shadows was also our after school show to watch. Yes we played Pig with our jack knives also. Funny how I would have thought it was just a local thing. Twister and Spiral Graph, yup we had those along with sparkle paints and Creepy Crawlers. I loved it when me younger sisters would make me a cake in their easy bake oven. Thats when they weren't playing on their new horse "Marvel the Mustang". How about those huge chemistry sets we used to be able to buy?.

Mustang pony.jpg

Last edited:
wow..i never thought this post would get so much attention.
it was posted in earnest, and I think everyone that has posted a reply.
we were all made in character by what we did young
even though we are all serious about our wine, its nice to half a thread where we can know each other better, and to realax a little.
thanks.

Hey thanks and I think I will keep a bottle good idea I never thought of that :)

Thanks jack

I am 44 years old . I was born and raised in Hungary behind the "iron courtain " but I am not complaining :b

Latest posts

Back