Done in the primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpowell88

Reaction score
Hey guys! So last night I moved my first wine kit from the primary to the secondary (glass carboy) and I was curious, my kit says to leave it in the secondary for 10 days. What is the point of this? Also I left it in the primary for 7 days and the hydrometer says it is now .995 The kit instructions say to check the gravity after 10 days and it should be below .996 then to move on to the next step. Is it done after 7 days in the primary and 1 day in the secondary?

Last edited:
BPowell, winemaking does not hang on the hands of a clock. Any reference to time in a recipe, such as days, is an average of many kits. The most reliable way to know when to move wine from primary to secondary is to rely on the SG readings of your hydrometer. Now you will get many different set points for when you need to do something. Personally, I move from primary to secondary when the SG hits about 1.020, but that is my way. Others may move at 1.010 and some at 1.030. In any event it should be in that range where there is still active fermentation so that the production of CO2 protects the wine.

Thanks Rocky!

It appears there is no more CO2 being formed as of now. Would there be any harm in leaving it in the secondary for about a week then adding the stabilizing and clearing agents? I dont mind waiting I woud just hate to ruin it

Thanks Rocky!

It appears there is no more CO2 being formed as of now. Would there be any harm in leaving it in the secondary for about a week then adding the stabilizing and clearing agents? I dont mind waiting I woud just hate to ruin it

I see no harm in leaving it in the carboy for that period of time. Just be sure that it is "topped off" (i.e. the wine level is within 1" of the stopper to minimize the cross-section exposed to air) and an airlock is in place.

bpowell...please when asking about kits, let us know what kit. Many kits finish around .992, so .995 does not mean fermentation is finished.

Steve

Hey Cp! It's the coastal white from winexpert. It says after 10 days in the secondary it should be below .996. It already is so I guess the main question is should I test for a couple days and if it stops moving put in the clearing and stabilizing agents? The Carboy isn't topped off yet since I'll need to add agents an stir. I'm just worried about oxidation affecting the wine.

Hey Cp! It's the coastal white from winexpert. It says after 10 days in the secondary it should be below .996. It already is so I guess the main question is should I test for a couple days and if it stops moving put in the clearing and stabilizing agents? The Carboy isn't topped off yet since I'll need to add agents an stir. I'm just worried about oxidation affecting the wine.
That's one of the kits that I would expect to finish around .992 (although I have never made it). I would allow it a few days (doesn't have to be 10) to make sure that everything is finished.

Steve

Latest posts

Back