Does KMeta go bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy419

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just mixed a new batch of KMeta, but it doesn't seem to smell very much. The powder is about 9 months old -- does the powder lose its "kick" after a while or am I OK?

Thanks

Depending on the water you mixed it with - it might take a day or so to really get that kmeta smell going.

Give it some time. It'll get stronger. Since what you smell is the gas it gives off, if your container is pretty full, there isn't much space for the gas to occupy and you wont smell it as much.

Like said above it will get much much stronger if proper amount is used which is 3 table spoons per gallon. If you want it to work faster when freshly mixed and be an even stronger sanitizer also add 3 tbs of citric acid. I dont recommend doing that to a 1 gallon batch if you want it to be good a long time as the citric acid makes the sulfite come out of suspension much easier making it a better sanitizer plus the citric acid makes it a higher acidity level which also makes it kill or totally stress any microbes.

Andy next time you mix it up in your gallon jug, put you meta in and then just a couple cups of water. Shake it up or stir it real good. I guarantee you'll be smelling it now. Once it's mixed up good go ahead and fill your jug up the rest of the way.

How often does one have to regenerate or add KMS to a gallon jug used for sanitizing? I keep the cap on when not in use and over time usage brings the level inside down but I still get the nose burn when I get a whiff after opening. I suppose the gap inside collects released gas and it gathers until opening and that would be the concentration immediately but I still have it after a few minutes. Could almost ask the same ? about One step cleaner. I keep about 6-12 gallons of this in an open container. Do not have any instruments for measuring levels. Opinions?

I do not keep one step longer than a day. As a matter of fact I stopped using it and instead get oxy-clean. Its the same thing and a lot cheaper. You can get it at Home Depot or Sam's club in 13 pound boxes. I store it a clean, dry plastic milk jug.

Under normal usage, as long as you keep the cap on your K-meta jug, you should not have to regenerate it by adding more. Granted, if you leave it in there for several months, it might lose some of it's potency.

TKS for all the K-meta info. I've been keeping mine up to 1 mo. then dumping it, [in the yard], & making new. Think I'll keep it longer now. I assume it will "hurt" my septic system, that's why I dump it in the yard. Roy FightingTown Creek Wines

Roy I had also heard that about the septic system if you're dumping a lot. I've never had to dump any unless if I felt it wasn't good anymore and at that point I guess it wouldn't mater if you dumped it down the drain, but I don't know that for sure.

Back