Do I need to degass?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaccusIsWine

Reaction score
So from what i understand Degassing is to get out the CO2 in the wine. Heres the thing what if I want the wine to be carbonated. Is thier other reasons to degass your wine?

Sometimes it can cause the wine not to clear properly, but I've bottled crystal clear wine that was still gassy (to my dismay).

On another note I went to a wine tasting festival recently, tried a whole lot of different wines. I noticed at least 3 of the white wines I tasted had some CO2 in them, not enough to fizz but enough you could feel it on your tongue. These are commercial wines. Not sure if they are supposed to be like that.

Sometimes it can cause the wine not to clear properly, but I've bottled crystal clear wine that was still gassy (to my dismay).

On another note I went to a wine tasting festival recently, tried a whole lot of different wines. I noticed at least 3 of the white wines I tasted had some CO2 in them, not enough to fizz but enough you could feel it on your tongue. These are commercial wines. Not sure if they are supposed to be like that.

I fined that Many expensive German(reisling) Spatelese, Auslese, Beerenauslese have an ever so slight carbonated zing you can feel on your tounge. I think they are supposed to be like that. Very enjoyable. Maybe I could Partial degass so I would still have alittle CO2?

If you don't degas when you bottle your wine and put it into storage the pressure will build up in your bottles and blow the corks as far as carbonation in your wine you are thinking of like a champagne if so that take a special way of making it and as for me I would have to do a lot more learning before I attempt that

If you don't degas when you bottle your wine and put it into storage the pressure will build up in your bottles and blow the corks as far as carbonation in your wine you are thinking of like a champagne if so that take a special way of making it and as for me I would have to do a lot more learning before I attempt that

Not looking for Champagne Level carbonation just alittle. So could i just partially degass?

Welcome aboard!!

Can you partially degass - yes.

As stated above - you run the risk of blowing off you corks do to the increased pressure caused from the CO2 in the wine.

It's like playing with fire - eventually you will get burned.

I find if you do leave a little gas(I do with Reisling) keep them cool will prevent corks from blowing out. For same reason you cant degass a cold wine

Latest posts

Back