Do I have bugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I have some vines that have some leaf curl.

ncm_0107-2436.jpg

ncm_0108-2437.jpg

I can't tell anything from that picture. Look carefully for insects or mites on the leaf bottoms. How many vines are affected like that?

I could not see any bugs; it looks like the leaves are blistering. There are some leaves that look like something has been eating them, but we have also had a lot of wind. We have also sprayed for weeds, but the weed spray has been kept away about 150' from the vines that are affected. It has mostly affected the the Petite Pearl, and Somerset. The last few weeks have also been fairly hot, and I have increased how much I am watering. My St. Croix Do not seam to be affected. Here a few days ago I did see some ladybugs on one of my St. Croix's, but no other bugs. I have about 12 vines that have some curling to them, but only 2 that are real bad.

It is likely the early results of some 2,4-D injury and the growing tips may become affected. How can this be you ask, I did not use 2,4-D? You need to consider what is in a spray even though you don't think you are using it. 2,4-D can damage grapes up to a quarter mile away under the right conditions. Some grapes are more susceptible to it than others. Why am I sure you used 2,4-D? Because I read the label of Bras available online by Googling it.. See the end of page 3 under mode of action at the label pdf file
http://wci.colostate.edu/Assets/pdf/Labels/Grasses/Herbicide/BrashGFC.pdf

In my part of the country it can drift a lot farther than a quarter of a mile. And it can be sprayed one day when the wind is blowing away or still and then the next day or even the day after that, it can get up and drift.

Back