Digital Refractometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a demo for a digital refractometer. I did it in silent form as it was difficult enough trying to hold the camera and do the demo at the same time. The purpose is to show just how easy it is compared to taking a hydrometer reading where you get inaccurate readings due to gas or fruit suspending the hydrometer or it is turning on you or bubbles are in your way. The first thing I am doing is placing a few drops of distilled water on the glass well and pressing the zero button. Once the meter reads zero it is calibrated and ready to go. Clean the distilled water off with a soft cloth and then with a pipette or eye dropper I add just a few drops of wine to fill the window well, wait a second and press the read button. I take my brix reading of 7.7 and transfer it to my spreadsheet along with the 61.3* temperature. You can see the sg calculation is automatically done for you in the next box reading .998sg. I then go on to show you the actual hydrometer physically reading .998.

The meter I use is a Hanna 96811 0-50% Brix Refractometer. This is the same spread sheet that Luc has talked about several times found on Valley Vinters web site. It leaves plenty of room for notes and once the wine is completed you can print the sheet out and file it away in your notebook. I attached a pdf file showing the spreadsheet I actually used for this wine. This site would not allow me to attach the working copy that is an excel sheet.

View attachment Picifica White 2-8-11 SAMPLE.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan you were not kidding this is very cool! But you know now I have to add another thing to my want list... Gee it just keeps getting better huh? hahaha:try

Dan you were not kidding this is very cool! But you know now I have to add another thing to my want list... Gee it just keeps getting better huh? hahaha:try

Just for you buddy! I have been wanting to post it for a while but you got me going today. Most places are about $100.00 more for this and you know how Amazon is. Wait a day and the price goes back up. Its been locked in here though since before Cristmas.

That's pretty amazing Dan. I need to come up and see your operation some day.

Cool Dan! I will start looking.. I gotta have one now... haha

Pretty cool but Ill stick with either my hydrometer or my ATC standard refractometer for that price!

I love my refractometer. I use the hydrometer one time to get the initial reading. I also have a log that I made with Excel. The log does all computations and is a permenant record. My equipment is diff. but great minds like Dan's and mine think alike. The refractometer is really a great tool. Mine was $30 on E Bay and it has atc. :b

Rich if you try this one you'll never pick your old one up again except out in the field. Plus this goes up to 50 brix which was important to me. When I get Late Harvest juice I need the higher brix reading. Everytime I or someone else asked Walkers for the brix reading we got a different answer.

Wuold you mind sharing your spread sheet so I can compare it to the one from Valley Vinter. I really like that one but I wish it had one more calculation for determining abv but the sheet is protected.

So it swings both ways right? ;)

You can take it into the field?

Nope just DC. Yes you could take it out in the field but I think I would just take the one Lurker has in the field as its smaller and you can easily stick it in your pocket. In the cellar, this is kick a$$, fast and accurate.

Dan, AC is plug, batteries are direct current! hehehe Your as screwed up as me!!! LOL

Ok, now we understand! You made it sound like it couldnt be taken out there!

Back