Refractometer and filter advice needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought a hobbyist winemakers entire setup. I bought it for the carboys, a small crusher, and a small press. While going through the totes I found these two refractometers.

refractometers.jpg

I also found a pH meter and Bueno minijet filter with a bunch of plastic plates and filters. I did a little searching on the site, and I don't think I'll be needing the filter... feel free to tell me why I should. As for the refractometers, I have a couple hydrometers now so do I keep one of these or get rid of both? I have a feeling the Milwaukee is a much more expensive unit, but does a hobby winemaker need one? Your expert opinion would be appreciated.

A refractometer is useful for testing grapes in the vineyard, did you say you have a vineyard?
Milwaukee, all pH meters are similar. Do you need a spare? Is this one more accurate? If one of them is put in storage it is important to put the probe in storage solution. A dry probe is dead/ needs to be replaced!
I have a mini Jet and mainly use it to filter contest wine. Stuff for a club meeting does not get the critical eye and neighbors are less critical.

Curious what a small crusher looks like. I have schemed on building something versatile enough to do goose berry and apple and grapes.

No vineyard. Yet. I am looking at planting a dozen or so vines this spring… BTW how many vines would a guy need to make 20 gallons a year? Apera pH60. Same one I already have. I haven’t checked it yet. The crusher is just a small hand cranked one. 57731955-212C-45E5-A5FD-2A7E7BFD362B.jpeg
You can see it sitting against the press. Lots of consumables too. Not sure how long they last.

On fully mature vines of most varietals you can plan on around a gallon per vine (12-15 lbs). But that will take 3-4 years and rhe first couple growing seasons pinch the clusters off and let the vine spend all its energy on vegetative growth.
Having said that I have a monster Roucaneuf vine that is now about 5 years old and it gives me up to 60 pounds of fruit, without overcropping it. It grows by itself on a trellis where there is continual moisture and it just goes crazy with fruit.

chemicals basically last forever example acid blend/ sugar/ tannin/ bentonite/ dry K meta.
A few chemicals will absorb something as sodium hydroxide and buffers pick up CO2 out of the air and K sorbate will absorb humidity out of the air. Your other consumable could be dry yeast, or concentrates, or flavors, or kits, time will degrade them and room temp makes it faster.
. Lots of consumables too. Not sure how long they last.
Grape vines are basically a five year project, ,,, plant em last year. Growing is another technology and can be more important than winery operations. I have access to a vinters club and find lots of posts for things ( Frontenac grape to cornelian cherry) someone has grown.

chemicals basically last forever example acid blend/ sugar/ tannin/ bentonite/ dry K meta.
A few chemicals will absorb something as sodium hydroxide and buffers pick up CO2 out of the air and K sorbate will absorb humidity out of the air. Your other consumable could be dry yeast, or concentrates, or flavors, or kits, time will degrade them and room temp makes it faster.

that’s good to know. As for the grapes. I was thinking Marquette and ?? Any suggestions for NE Wisconsin? We like sweet and semisweet reds. I’ve got plenty of room so maybe I’ll up that to 30 vines.

I squeeze the snot out of my sodium hydroxide bottles and push the liquid to the absolute top. It makes the bottle look funny rhough...lol

Would dessicant packs thrown in with sorbate extend their longevity?

The lab dessicant “Drierite” would keep the moisture out, this also can be regenerated in a 130C moisture oven. Silica gel is in a lot of retail products and probably can be recharged.

Option 2 if you have a small vacuum pump put together a small vacuum chamber and then store alkali or sorbate in a vacuum packed wide mouth canning jars. (This originally was built to vacuum pack wine samples)
3D35224F-3B7C-4A1F-8079-07B5D4299E88.jpeg
I squeeze the snot out of my sodium hydroxide bottles and push the liquid to the absolute top. It makes the bottle look funny rhough...lol

Would dessicant packs thrown in with sorbate extend their longevity?

Last edited:
Also, I’ve searched for wine clubs/groups up this way and didn’t find anything. Do you know how I can find them?
There is the Wisconsin Vintner’s Association (WVA) but maybe too far south for you. We typically get a few tons a grapes fall from Washington or California. Also, we get white juice and other fresh juices periodically. Monthly meetings, dinners, picnics.

There is the Wisconsin Vintner’s Association (WVA) but maybe too far south for you. We typically get a few tons a grapes fall from Washington or California. Also, we get white juice and other fresh juices periodically. Monthly meetings, dinners, picnics.
Thanks. Rice_Guy sent some information about the group as well. It’s a bit far to go but I’ll probably look to join just to take advantage of the grape buys.

A typical destemmer is a plate with 5/8 or 3/4 holes. See “Home Built Winery”. Commercial scale has a screw pushing the grapes against said holes.
Another low volume method is to use the bottom of a milk crate.
I thought the destemmer was just a screen. I’m a pretty handy guy so I think I could rig something up.

the refractometer is used to determine the sugars in the must at the start of fermentation. as fermentation continuers the alcohol distorts the reading. there are spreadsheets on the web that will correct the reading. once near the end a hydrometer is the best to check final numbers. it is very handy as it only take s a drop of wine to determine status of the fermentation whereas a hydrometer requires a testing jar. I have used one to monitor my fermentation for about 15 or more years without any problems. I would recommend keeping one of the refractometers

I'm with @salcoco on the refractometer. It's the easiest way to measure a fermentations progress. I don't use a hydrometer until it gets closer to finish. If it were me and since they are so small I'd keep both refractometers and the pH meter but as @Rice_Guy says keep the bulb in a storage solution. I filter all my wines with the Minijet. 5 micron for reds and 1 then .5 for whites. It's an extra step but I really the brightness it gives the wine.

Latest posts

Back