Different Oak Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ankita

Reaction score
It is very important for all of us to know, that anyone can make a wine but the most important thing is the preservation. Barrels are use for the wines for a long preservation i.e for years and different types of wooden barrels are use in different places.

Some wood types are - Chestnut, Pine, redwood are use in crafting wine making vessels. Well Oak is considered to be the most compatible barrel for wine combining its water tight, yet slightly porous storage capabilities with unique flavor and texture to the wine.

On the other hand, Chestnut is very high in tannins and is too porous as a storage barrel and must be coated with paraffin to prevent excessive wine loss through evaporation.

I would like to know some more views from you guys about the storage barrels that you use.
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

i believe acadia is being used successfully and some cherry as well

Even Retsina is not made in pine barrels anymore, but rather just a chunk of pine pitch is thrown into the tank. Redwood would be way too resinous!

Hey good to know from all you guys. Obviously, redwood is way too resinous and I personally think of Oak and cherry due to its great taste and storage capabilities. I do consider using Acadia as well. < id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" =""><div id="ref">

Since most home winemakers/hobbyists got into it because of cost savings, the oak barrels tend to be a greater expense than most are willing to invest. I would expect locating and affording barrels made of other woods would be far too difficult and expensive for more than 1% of home winemakers to even consider (the 1% that have the disposable funds to spend on such a 'toy').

Back