Diesel fuel smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf1

Junior
Reaction score
I've been making wine for 15 years. Every couple of years the wine smells and tastes terrible - like diesel fuel! Out of the carboloy its great smelling and tasting, but after about two months in the bottle it goes bad. The bottles have been cleaned with a strong sulfite solution. Anybody have an idea what this could be?

GOOD MORNING
smiley20.gif
if you use a strong solution and don't rinse before using that could be what you smell as a rule hot water washing then reisining with a lit solution of K-MET and letting the bottles sit is as good as it gets,thats my thoughts
smiley2.gif

Welcome to our little forum wolf.

Is this wine from a kit- or more likely from grapes? If grapes, what variety and where do you get them. What you describe is most likely TDN - 1,1,6-trimethyl1-1,2dihydronaphthalene. It is a product of overly ripe grapes and can be affected by yeast strains. The amount of it is in proportion to the amount of warm temperatures and sun exposure to the grapes while ripening.

A little more information and we can make a few suggestions of how to reduce the likelihood of getting it so often.

Thanks Joe and Appleman for your comments.

I live in Michigan and get my grapes both locally (Niagara and Concord) and from California (Merlot, Cab Sauvignon, Sauv Blanc). The problem seems to occur more often with the reds (only once with Chardonnay).
Wolf

My guess is that it happens with the California grapes and not the local ones. Try to buy only from reputable brokers from California. They know if they sell you grapes that give off odors, they will lose business so strive to only buy good quality ones. I hope you never have that problem again.

I WONDER COULD THERRE BE INSECTICIDE SPRAY OF SOME SORT OF PRESERVITIVE ON THE PRODUCT DO YOU WASH THE GARPES BEFORE YOU USE THEM ,IAM JUST ASKING BUT MAYBE SOME SORT OF SHIPPING CHEMICAL TO STABILZW THEM ?

I looked up my aroma chart and found that your diesel odor is a chemical odor,in the wine,I know I heard it some wre else,it was at one of our club meetings,I as perty much on the above reply
smiley32.gif

I read somewhere one night ( damn if I cant remember now ) that grapes low in nitrogen levels will produce that deisel smell and to use a yeast nutirent if this smell is noticed during primary..

Not sure if it is true or not, but I figured I would post this to see other's views on that information.

Latest posts

Back