Did I "oooops"?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
So I started a new batch of the "super sugar" method while my first batch of regular ol' grape concentrate from a can was just beginning to finish up last night. The weather has turned a bit colder so my basement is around 63-64* so I decided to put one of those electric floor heaters by both the new primary and secondary and set the auto temperature to 73*. This floor heater will automatically turn on when the air temperature falls below what I set it at. So trying to keep my juice around the 75* mark I set it and went to bed. 12 hours later I go downstairs and check everything but only to find out that the primary and secondary have skyrocketed in temperature to the tune of 92*. So how screwed am I now? I went ahead and racked my secondary into another carboy hoping to reduce the temperature. The SG of it was 1.000 so it was pretty much done. However my primary had just gotten started, SG of 1.150. Any suggestions on what I can do or just leave things alone and let it be. I think if I use this heater again (which I may just go to a sock filled with rice and microwave it to wrap around the primary/secondary) I will either turn the heat way down or move the heater much farther away from both of them. Thinking more about it, I'll probably go with the sock method, even though it's more work on my part, I won't have to worry about over heating any of my must. Thanks everyone for the help!

You are saying it fermented from 1.150 to 1.000 in one day?
Did you use RC-212?

In the future, just put a heating pad on it for a few hours a day, or the time you are home(so you don't have it on while gone and burn house down). This is what I do when using RC-212 to get it going and keep it going. I also ferment in a spare bedroom upstairs where it is 68.

You are saying it fermented from 1.150 to 1.000 in one day?
Did you use RC-212?

In the future, just put a heating pad on it for a few hours a day, or the time you are home(so you don't have it on while gone and burn house down). This is what I do when using RC-212 to get it going and keep it going. I also ferment in a spare bedroom upstairs where it is 68.

Sorry for the confusion. I have 2 separate wines going. One is just about finished at 1.000SG, The other just began and is at 1.150. The one that just began has RC-212, the one that is about finished has EC-1118. The temperature is slowly dropping in both of them, but I wanted to know if I've oops to big or just let them be.

Thanks for the suggestion on the heating pad!

I would think this isn't a horrid OOOPPSS, just a oops. I would let them go and see. The one in secondary, will be fine. The one that just started, you may have cooked the yeast, but I doubt that. Just let them cool and see what happens. Just a side note, I don't think there is any need for outside heat. RC212 is good from about 59 F to 86F, your 63-64 is just fine. EC1118 can go even lower. I ferment in my basement year round and never add extra heat. It is just about the same temp as you have.

I would think this isn't a horrid OOOPPSS, just a oops. I would let them go and see. The one in secondary, will be fine. The one that just started, you may have cooked the yeast, but I doubt that. Just let them cool and see what happens. Just a side note, I don't think there is any need for outside heat. RC212 is good from about 59 F to 86F, your 63-64 is just fine. EC1118 can go even lower. I ferment in my basement year round and never add extra heat. It is just about the same temp as you have.

That's real good to know about the temps! Thank you. I figured in the next 24-36 hours I'll know in my primary if anything will happen. There is however, a lot of foam in there so all may not be lost and I've learned a valuable lesson on it! Nice thing about the recipe's I'm doing now is that they don't cost a whole lot, so if I do happen to screw up a batch, I'm really only out some time and a few bucks! Thanks again for the help.

@cmason1957 All the data I have ever read on RC-212 has stated Temperature range: 18-30 °C (64--86 °F).
That is why I use the heating pad to get it going in my 68 degree room.

Your temps. look more like what EC-1118 is rated for.

The manufacturer says:
The optimum fermentation temperature is between 68 – 82.4 °F (20 – 28 °C). The minimum starting temperature is 64.4°F (16 C). LALVIN RC212 yeast should only be added to heated must or mash after recooling or rather cooling to 68 °F (20 °C).

But you can find plenty of other people, like home-brew shops, giving other information.

I agree that Lallamond gives the range as 68-86 for RC212. You can find plenty of other places on the web that give different numbers. Here is where I found the numbers I have always used:
http://www.leeners.com/winemaking/how-to/drywineyeast.shtml

I do know that at the temps of 64-65 RC212 has started and completed for me just fine. I do always rehydrate and make a good yeast starter, that probably helps. Also, I have an old brochure from Lallamond that indicates the lower numbers are just fine for RC212. Bottom line that I see, the numbers are confusing and changing and it doesn't help that kit manufacturers always use 75 F as the temp you should shoot for.

@jayhkr maybe what happened was the sensor on the heater took for ever to get the air temp to 75 while blowing on your wine. Next time maybe try and let water in a bigger bucket and a aquarium heater help get the temp of the water up which will make the primary and juice also warm up. I do not use this heater but have seen others refer to similar heaters.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I5UC0W

TXWineDuo

Last edited by a moderator:
@jayhkr maybe what happened was the sensor on the heater took for ever to get the air temp to 75 while blowing on your wine. Next time maybe try and let water in a bigger bucket and a aquarium heater help get the temp of the water up which will make the primary and juice also warm up. I do not use this heater but have seen others refer to similar heaters.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I5UC0W

TXWineDuo

Thanks everyone for the help and support. So, I have a 2 gallon primary bucket (wanted to start slow), so put that into a 5 gallon bucket filled with water that comes up most of the way on the primary. Put the aquarium heater in the 5 gallon bucket and set the temperature that way? That's an awesome idea! If I set the aquarium heater to around 72-75* I should be "in the zone" then! Seems like a good way to keep the temperature constant since my basement likes to fluctuate depending on if I'm going in and out of the basement door and and all. Still waiting on the bubbler to get going so that I know all is well on my primary.

Here's another question for you all. I see that some of you say to keep the lid on the primary, and others say to just cover it with a towel. Obviously right now I don't have issues with bugs and such but honestly what is the big difference? I know the primary needs air for the yeast, but then I read that air is our enemy. I ultimately want a smooth, soft tasting wine, so which way is best to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the help and support. So, I have a 2 gallon primary bucket (wanted to start slow), so put that into a 5 gallon bucket filled with water that comes up most of the way on the primary. Put the aquarium heater in the 5 gallon bucket and set the temperature that way? That's an awesome idea! If I set the aquarium heater to around 72-75* I should be "in the zone" then! Seems like a good way to keep the temperature constant since my basement likes to fluctuate depending on if I'm going in and out of the basement door and and all. Still waiting on the bubbler to get going so that I know all is well on my primary.

Here's another question for you all. I see that some of you say to keep the lid on the primary, and others say to just cover it with a towel. Obviously right now I don't have issues with bugs and such but honestly what is the big difference? I know the primary needs air for the yeast, but then I read that air is our enemy. I ultimately want a smooth, soft tasting wine, so which way is best to go?

I used to just use a towel. Then a few years ago my wife got a kitten. Used a towel with the lid over it. Still do it that way, just gives a bit of security if something gets dropped on it. It is just a matter of choice. Arne.

Those that leave a lid on are doing it loosely. That is what I do, just lay a lid on top. Some lay a towel, etc. You want to be able to access the must easily for daily stirring.

The oxygen being a problem is correct, but not at this stage. While fermenting in the primary, you want the oxygen. It is after you rack to the secondary and later on that you don't want the oxygen, hence the airlock.

Those that leave a lid on are doing it loosely. That is what I do, just lay a lid on top. Some lay a towel, etc. You want to be able to access the must easily for daily stirring.

The oxygen being a problem is correct, but not at this stage. While fermenting in the primary, you want the oxygen. It is after you rack to the secondary and later on that you don't want the oxygen, hence the airlock.

I see what you mean. On my first batch I had just a towel on top of my primary. TONS of frothy foam on top! My second batch, I put the lid on top with the fermentor. 36 hours later and after stirring day and night, there are just a few bubbles on top of the surface. When I stir, I get that rich foam, but 30 minutes later they've all but gone away. Needless to say I've taken the lid off and have gone back to the towel method. I know fermentation is still good as I started at 1.150 and am down to 1.130. Thank you for the help!

I see what you mean. On my first batch I had just a towel on top of my primary. TONS of frothy foam on top! My second batch, I put the lid on top with the fermentor. 36 hours later and after stirring day and night, there are just a few bubbles on top of the surface. When I stir, I get that rich foam, but 30 minutes later they've all but gone away. Needless to say I've taken the lid off and have gone back to the towel method. I know fermentation is still good as I started at 1.150 and am down to 1.130. Thank you for the help!

Sounds like all is going well. That is exactly how my ferments usually act, very foamy when stirred then they calm back down and keep doing their thing.

Yeah, sounds to me that it was merely two different "stages" of the fermentation. Most of mine go through a very foamy phase before backing off.

Last edited:
Awesome. I know as I get more batches under my belt I'll know what to look for more. No matter how many videos I watch, nothing can compare to old fashioned hospitality from people like everyone here!

Latest posts

Back