Descriptions of wine kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
Did ya ever read some of these descriptions of wine kits? Who in the heck writes these, "Hint of underbrush". I bet the guy never has been rabbit hunting and had to go in to the brambles after a rabbitt and taken a thorn in the cheek going in , and one in the leg comming out.If he ever did I'd bet he would change his tune real fast.Another one is "Laced with leather", try chewing on yourcowboy bootsya big dummy. Then there is "A touch of the Tuscan earth" This guy ever fall in the crick, ya thats the way we say it, and get a moulth full of mud when the cows are up stream a bit cooling off in the summer sun. Didn't think so or he wouldn't write such things. Yep its spring, cought a couple keepers down at the river this morning, looks like fresh catfish for supper. Tomy
smiley4.gif

smiley36.gif
smiley20.gif
Tomy. Been along time since I heard anyone call it a "crick"! I grew up next to the "crick"! You must be in the midwest

I personally never thought that a wine described as being like tar was very appealing. Then there is herbacious described as fresh mowed hay.

Just to set the record straigtht, the descriptions on the web site were written by the kit manufacturers, NOT ME. That is why we are in the process of making and tasting all of the kits. I want to use language that non-wine sommeliers will understand.

BTW, I never thought of appreciating something that tastes of tar and leather. Probably explains why Amarone is not my wine of choice.

You would probably laugh at the guy (Gary Vaynerchuk, Wine library TV). He describes most wines that he likes as vegetal, dirt, rock, etc. It is a great show and he makes it funny unlike any other wine tasting show. Give it a try sometime when you have few minutes to spare. He introduces wines that are new on the market or have been around for awhile that he feels are god bargains whether its a $10 wine that should sell for $50 or a $50 wine that should sell for $100.
<ul><li style=": left; color: white; padding-top: 1px; width: 140px;">
[*]Wine Library TV</span>[/list]

Edited by: wade

Northern Winos said:
Here are some words to describe wine...

Everyone seems to have their own ideas, but 'BarnYardy' and 'Saddlebag' don't conger up appealing flavors that you'd want to experience.

AW come on!! What's wrong with "Barnyardy"?

<a href="http://www.world-food-and-wine.com/describing-a-wine.html" target="_blank">
</a>

When I was a kid growing up on the farm some city folks decided it would be stylish to build a country church just across the fence from our east corn field. The church was completed that summer, and every thing was fine till a niceSaturday in January when Dad decided to clean the barnyard. We cleaned the cattle shed, barn, pig pens, and lastly the worst one of the bunch, the chicken house. As Dad headed out to the east field with a big load he had a smile on his face a mile wide. As we all sat down to supper that evening Dad was still grinning, and chuckleing to him self. Ma finally said "whats so funny Dad". He grinned and said "were going to have a fine west wind come Sunday Morning". Tomy
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Tomy

I get many of the taste "sensations" when trying a wine such as dirt, leather, grass, etc. It is the association between taste and smell. Have you ever tasted something and had the same sensation as it smells? Have you ever noticed that if you have nasal congestion you can't taste your food? It is just an odor sensation that is not actually in the taste. Your taste buds and smell receptors work closely together but separate.

I had a batch of beer go bad the other day after it erupted in my fermenter fridge and blow the airlock out of the fermenter. The beer soured. It was a Sweet Stout. It smelled nasty, nasty as I was cleaning the mess. A day later I poured me a dry stout and about gagged when I sipped it as Itasted the same smell in the good beer which has always been there but never noticed it until I was presented with the soured beer smell. Guinness actually blends a portion of soured beer when the make their product. I now notice it prominent and hope I can get over it as Guinness was my favorite beer.

My husband and I ride with many wino's, umm I mean enthusiasts. We crack the wine out of the sidebags once we are parked for the day. A favorite pastime is mixing motorcycle lingo with wine descriptors. An example would go something like" Hmmm, fruit forward, yes, hints of cherries and burndt rubber, hmm, leathery with a finish of saddle. Ohh, and the legs are stunning.' As the evening wears on, the descriptions generally go downhill. Yes, we are not your average bikers.

I'd have to say I'm with Tomy here. I don't get real worked up over the descriptions of any given wine. As far as I'm concerned, it's either good or I don't like it.

I do like my wife's way of describing Cabernet Sauvignon though. "It tastes like mosquito spray." She's obviously not a Cab fan.

well people,i don't have that kind of taste buds ,unless a pronounced taste is present ,sweet,sour ,hot ,spice etc. its all the same or just about,except for the fruit wines thats were i kick in for some reason,,,other than that its GRAPES with suttle differences,,i use to live near a big crick when i lived in OHIO////////////////////////////////////////////// HO THOSE WERE THE REAL GOOD DAYSEdited by: joeswine

Latest posts

Back